Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get work in Phnom Penh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: How to get work in Phnom Penh? Reply with quote

Hello!

I just finished my TESOL certification last Friday, and now I really need to get some work!

I was supposed to recieve some help from my TESOL course, but the combination of lack of organization and unwillingness to help makes it a bit hard to get...

So maybe I'll get some assitance here!

I am basically lokking for some short term work (2-6 months), which I heard is the way things work here in PP regardless of my wishes.

If you can maybe tell me about schools I might be able to go to and post my resume, or some sort of a job hunting strategy which is relevant to PP, I'd be most thankfull!

Cheers,

Eran.
nonbeuroboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: go around to schools and apply Reply with quote

bring your c v and tape or put a passport foto on the cv - prepare for some bs as is typical here - some schools suck some are good ask the foreigner teachers- there is only a few bars in town where they hang out - try Rue 51 bars and some schools there too
andyasiatravel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Phnom Penh Schools Reply with quote

ACE is considered the better of the Language schools in Phnom Penh,without getting into the International Schools offering UK/USA full time curriculum.

They pay the best rates too so if you have a degree and a TEFL accredited through an independent and reputable university (CELTA/TRINITY/COT/SIT) then this would be a good start.

Failing meeting these criteria then NWI ( Street 51) has some support/resources for newly qualified teacher and so is a good alternative. Variously over the last years, AII on Mao Tse Toung and EFL have been places where pay and conditions are not to bad. There is an offshoot ESL I think up near the Old Stadium which has recently opened and should be in need of foreign teachers.

Should you be interested in teaching younger age groups The Western School in Toul Kork is usually hiring.

If you are interested in teaching more academic students then the universities would offer the best way to go.

ACE apart, you have to distribute CV's to the schools to get a job but often you start the next day/week so be ready.

Keep an eye on the newspapers as adverts frequently appear. This is often when they most need a teacher and is a good way to get a foot in the door.

Things move quickly in PP schools and so this information maybe a touch outdated already.

Why didn't your TESOL course give you this information? Where did you train?

I hope to return to teach in PP again asap.

Good Luck
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just do it

C A M B O D I A

try it and see Cool
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out youtube

cambodia kim wilde video Idea
DHAPhotography

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think that I just might have to go over there and do it. I'm about to head back East in January, 2010, and just exploring options at this time. I really like Vietnam, and would love to give Cambodia and even Laos a try. Burma??? Why not??? There's always southwest China again, but been there and done that. Taiwan at the university level is appealing, but those jobs are like pulling hen's teeth. So, what to do??? Maybe I'll just get on that plane and land in PP. I'll be emailing some of you folk in the not too distant future.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one way--this is wahat i did but it was 10 years ago so ...

make copies of cv
go to capitol guesthouse
ask chaps acorss the street who make their living by driving motos
to whirl you arouned to various skools
they will know the skools and if not you can ask the teaxjhers
start at 8 am then stop at 11, thdn if there ary any skools left,
resume at 2pm

good luck have fun

C A M B O D I A

try it and see Cool
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxlQ1_SDksE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: