Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

language schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanna_teach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: language schools Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I have been reading this forum and am getting conflicting information.

I am interested in a position at a langauge school in Cairo and I have seen some threads that say there are very little jobs at language schools and some that say there are lots. Are there jobs at language schools and if there are do they hire year round or mostly for September?

There are no job listings on daves. Where would I go about finding a job at a language school?
Does anybody know any reputable language schools?

any advice is appreciated
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "language schools" do you mean the ones that give English lessons to all ages... or do you mean the K-12 schools that offer a bi-lingual program (in English or French or German)? I can't tell you about the second... as to the first...

The only language schools that do foreign hires and may advertise are British Council and AMIDEAST... and they don't have to do it much either as they can easily pick up local hires. (check their websites)

The smaller language schools all use local hires. If you hustle, you can pick up hours here and there... and then pick up private lessons. The biggest problem will be that you pay will likely be in Egyptian Pounds and it is often difficult to exchange them for other currency.

Next problem is that for most of these jobs, you would be working on a tourist visa. Not legal, but I know people who have been doing it for 20 to 30 years.

Perhaps Justcolleen can fill you on the other, if that is your interest.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow Pages + Google = Egyptian Language School listings

Would also probably help, if you're abroad, to have international calling as an option, or at the very least Skype.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
justcolleen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Perhaps Justcolleen can fill you on the other, if that is your interest.

Did someone say my name? Very Happy

Alright. I'll whip out my in-the-know, Principal secret: a fancy-pantsy web site with the scoop.

1.) http://oracle.advanc-ed.org/reporting/Locator.aspx
2.) Select "Egypt" from the drop-down menu
3.) Association: Select "AdvancED Schools Using CITA Protocol"
4.) Location: Select "Located Outside of the United States"
5.) Click on "Search" then WAIT because sometimes it takes a minute
6.) The search will return a report - an eight page report.
7.) Click "View PDF" at the top then SAVE the PDF because it will save you from having to search again.

The name of the school will tell you the type of school it is (i.e., Language, International, American, etc.). Many of these school have web sites listed. Some don't and they might be located with a simple google search. Some web sites are maintained better than others and virtually every school's web site has contact information.

All of the schools on the returned list are accredited, meaning they have to meet a rigerous set of standards. These are also the schools that are most likely (but not guaranteed because this is Egypt) to be credible in terms of how they treat their teachers and other staff. My own school is in the accreditation process and, I can tell you from personal experience, it's not easy. The standards are high and accrediting bodies are only interested in whether students are learning the best possible way.

As for resources, that's all I've got - and I think it's not too shabby.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great source, but there are no guarantees that the places listed are ones where one would necessarily want to teach. I played around with a few Middle Eastern cities and all of them included Sabis. Shocked One still needs to check each place carefully.

VS
wanna_teach

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. justcolleen..thanks for giving step by step. It was extremely helpful. Most ppl would have just given the link.

Just to clarify, by language school I meant a school for all ages with English language classes, not a k-12 school. I am more interested in teaching adults or at least high school students. I have reads some posts that say that there are not many of these type of schools because English is part of the school curriculum.

I was wondering if there are many of these schools in Cairo and if they hire from abroad. I have read that if they hire locally, then you are paid as a local and not a foreign hire. I am also assuming that they don�t pay for flights and accommodation.

I have a degree and a TESL certificate and I have about 2 years experience. Should I just come to Cairo and apply for jobs and what are my chances of getting a decent position?

Thanks
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered your questions above as to the type of 'language schools' that you want. Other than the two I mentioned, there are few foreign hires and yes, local hires get salary only and no benefits. But, I would guess that 90% of all language school EFL teachers in Egypt are either Egyptian or local hire expats. You have to hustle to make a living.

You could try n-sticks suggestion of googling and then calling. But I suspect that the best possibility is just going and applying in person. Be sure to have the money to support yourself for a few months because it may take you that long to find enough teaching hours to pay the bills.

This is a job that one takes for the experience of living in Egypt for awhile, certainly not to make much money. Laughing

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Great source, but there are no guarantees that the places listed are ones where one would necessarily want to teach. I played around with a few Middle Eastern cities and all of them included Sabis. Shocked One still needs to check each place carefully.

VS

Taban.

However, some sort of oversight, other than a baksheesh happy Ministry of Education, official isn't a bad idea.
AsmaInEgypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to access the oracle site above - is it still working for everyone else?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't open for me either. Justcolleen hasn't been around since spring, but perhaps she will drop in...

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdvancEd has taken over the accreditation process.

Here is the updated link for locating accredited schools:

http://www.advanc-ed.org/oasis2/u/par/search
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note:

As you are looking through this list, be sure to click on the link provided by the school's name in order to see the school's accreditation status. Just because they are accredited now doesn't mean they haven't been "warned" or aren't "on probation". Those are the schools that are dodgy and you'll want to think twice before accepting employment with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: