Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health Cover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Health Cover Reply with quote

I recently had major surgery on Saudi Arabia.

I am curious about what cover people working as English Teachers in the KofSA have.

My impression is that government hospitals provide Basic cover if you are legal in this country but.......................................

There have been stories in the local press over the last years about restricting access to MoH hospitals and sporadic stories about the introduction of Health Insurance for all foreign employees here.

What deal do you have ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Doctor Who? Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

"I recently had major surgery on Saudi Arabia."

Hmmm, did they remove it from your body? I've heard of some people becoming attached to the Kingdom, so I suppose the Kingdom could become attached to some people
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I was fortunate in that, during all my time there, I never required any hospital services. I did avail myself of them once when I had an abscess on my back taken care of at Riyadh Central Hospital in Shamazi (spelling??).
It was the only time in the Kingdom that, striped to the waist, I was alone in a room with three women - the doctor, the nurse and the assistant. They did a great job, by the way.
My impression about the "free medical care at government hospitals" is that nowadays, non-Saudis are covered only for "minor stuff" - if there's anything major required, you're out of luck - and many of my colleagues had their own insurance plans. Considering the reputation - whether deserved or not, I can't say - although my one small experience was quite good - that many government hospitals have, most ex-pats would opt for their own insurance even if they could get full access to the government hospitals.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in, on, with, by, to

Only prepositions !

A slip of the cursor !
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctor Who? Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

It was the only time in the Kingdom that, striped to the waist...

My God! Mr. Slat, you're a zebra!
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Jubail and Yanbu Industrial Colleges you get the Royal Commission Hospitals. They appear to be pretty good. Quite a few people have had minor surgery, and at least one major surgery, though the only case of cancer chose to go back to the UK.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Gotcha Reply with quote

Dear Bindair Dundat,
Well, I'm black and white and red all over Embarassed after being caught out on that spelling mistake. Unlike scot47, I can't blame the "cursor". I can, however, curse.
Regards,
John
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have private cover which i think tops out at 100,000 rats.
I have never been to the doctors or hospital here save the compulsory tests but have heard a lot of horrendous stories.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: wrinklies Reply with quote

I had treatment in one of the newer private institutions in Eastern province of KSA.
No complaints. We have a group plan on offer through Insurance Brokers and our employer.

I would not be too happy if I had to rely on government hospitals.

But Health Cover is IMPORTANT - especially if you are a "wrinkly" like me !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: