Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about heading back to CZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midgetrampage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Thinking about heading back to CZ Reply with quote

Hi

I want to go back to Czech Republic or maybe Slovakia. I am looking for a job, I keep seeing postings about a TEFL course with a job afterwards. Can anyone point me to some good websites or recruiters so I could get set up before coming to CZ? I don't really have the savings to go there blind. I have student loans to pay is my one concern, since I have to pay about $350+cost of living. I want to make sure I get something that can cover my expenses.

I am 27, I've got a BA and and online TESL certificate. I lived in CZ for 2 years when I was younger and speak Czech OK.
cks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the reputable schools in Prague will hire you or get you legal with an online TEFL certificate. Any of the on-site TEFL courses in Prague will be a good choice for you. Unfortunately, the market is highly competitive and they will not recruit you from abroad. You will have to relocate blindly. The next best time to arrive in Prague will be in January when the next term begins.
ITTP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
None of the reputable schools in Prague will hire you or get you legal with an online TEFL certificate. Any of the on-site TEFL courses in Prague will be a good choice for you. Unfortunately, the market is highly competitive and they will not recruit you from abroad. You will have to relocate blindly. The next best time to arrive in Prague will be in January when the next term begins.

Not completely true cks.

Sure, with no teaching experience then an online cert will place you at the bottom of the barrel BUT combined course (which we also offer), provide students with the flexibility of online study together with actual teaching practice experience and students who take the course and then who look for work in Prague are not disadvantaged by any means - as their teaching schedules show.
Also, with previous teaching experience an online course might suit well and, once again, we have had students take purely online courses and their teaching schedule shows that they are still in demand.

BUT, if you have NO teaching experience then a purely online course isn't worth the paper it's written on and I think this is your issue cks - to which I agree.

Hezky den!/Lovely day!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
cks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps your combined course in Prague will get them jobs in the Czech Repbulic since the employers know about you here, but this guy did not take your course and did not say as to whether he has any teaching experience. He needs more training; everyone I know here in Prague who hires teachers are currently flooded with CV's of those with an onsite TEFL, there is too much competition. I am not going to encourage this guy to come here with only his online TEFL, maybe he can take your course.
cks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes-and to answer your question for websites for TEFL courses; there is Neville here at ITTP, and of course www.tefl.net, www.expats.cz, www.prague.tv.
midgetrampage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some experience, I taught Spanish here in Portland for a year, and I got a letter of reccomendation from my former boss. I was also an ESL tutor at my university. Do you think that will help my chances or am I still going to have to get certified again?
cks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your resume must show a TEFL certificate to teach in the Czech Republic. The market is more competitive than ever nowadays and the people at my language schools who do the hiring immediately hit the delete button when they see a resume without a TEFL. You will be competing against many experienced teachers and newbies with a TEFL. My boss posted a job and he was flooded with many resumes for just one position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: