Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

italy vs France expense wise!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovetowander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: italy vs France expense wise! Reply with quote

hi Was hoping to get some info on which area is more expensive to live, Italy or France? Everywhere is getting tough work wise as you all know. I'm thinking that its better to find somewhere not so expensive to live and try and ride it out a bit. I work mostly online so work is not so much a problem (nt enough of it tho) but expeneses are a pain. I'm in ireland t the moment and it is so very expensive here.
appreciate comments. thanks so much xx
ragazzo gallese

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very roughly speaking, France and northern Italy are about the same, southern Italy (not including Rome) tends to be 20-30% cheaper.
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragazzo gallese wrote:
Very roughly speaking, France and northern Italy are about the same, southern Italy (not including Rome) tends to be 20-30% cheaper.

Pretty well, I'd say although slightly cheaper the Italian side of the Alps, and the ski passes are definitely cheaper this side.Smile Price for price I'd probably go for French supermarket white wine. Eating out better here in Italy, but then I'm a fan of pizza. Accommodation a very variable issue. Generally things are quite expensive. but OP, I'm comparing with the UK. Just driven back after the summer, and apart from books, clothes that fit and decent tea have stocked up on toiletries and other household stuff which are all very expensive. Also brought baby stuff as here it's extortionate. (Don't worry TiR, it's not a post-menopausal miracle !!, but prezzies..).
Betti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh SueH, your post made me laugh out loud. To change the subject completely .... I'm just about to sign for payment for my PON course (for those that are interested). Seems like the cash is on its way for this rich Southerner!
OP - I live in Sicily. The cost of living is fairly low, based on the principle that there's not much to do!! However, electricity bills are higher than in the UK but plus side for gas is that it's not piped but bottled (here used only in the kitchen) therefore, with my lack of culinary skills a 'bombola' - at about 20 Euros a pop - lasts for 6-8 months. At the moment, the humidity and heat here is draining; air-con is a must and that eats up those Euros like anything. Rents are not high (I'm a Londoner) compared to my hometown, but not that low considering the place - between 300 - 400 Euros per month for a decent 1-bed flat. Eating out is much cheaper than the UK (surprise, surprise), but can't compare to France as I have no experience there. Plus sides for me are the food, the free olive oil I get from students and my landlord, olives, almonds, lemons and oranges - all given as gifts and consumed with great pleasure!
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on the PONS front. I'm getting some freelance work in October through a local library, and with decent group sizes I'll also be making a decent take home (they assure me there is demand..).

I must visit Sicily one of these days, the food appeals! Bit worried that a bombola lasts you so long; I'm not exactly a domestic goddess but I do around 3 months...

And sorry OP, we do get a bit discursive here... bit like an Italian bar conversation, or one of my adult lessons....
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Sue - you had me worried!

To the OP: living here is definitely on a par expense-wise with the UK if you discount accommodation costs. I nearly fell over in the supermarket yesterday at the shock: 12 euros for 200g ham, a portion of paella, and a piece of ricotta / chocolate cake. That's about �12, isn't it?

A lot depends on whether or not you get a car. Decent second hands can easily cost in the thousands range, and your insurance will be a killer. Petrol not too cheap either, unless you live in a semi-autonomous region like SueH.

Good news Betti and Sue on your various lucrative projects! Someone called me about EU-funded projects too, but until it's all signed I'm not holding my breath...
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Good news Betti and Sue on your various lucrative projects! Someone called me about EU-funded projects too, but until it's all signed I'm not holding my breath...

Good luck with that TiR, and I suppose if you get it you'll be like all those southerners who then build another room on the house!

It's actually relevant information for the OP too, in a way. If you get some decently paid work (not just language school rates) the expenses issue is not quite so critical, otherwise you can really suffer. When I spoke to the lady at the library she dissuaded me from setting my rates too low. So I may be getting as much as 60 nett an hour (based on standard tax and lower rate INPS.) although if groups are smaller a bit less.

All this work so I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to use me cheap ski pass though....Wink
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a PON course?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ministry of the Interior funded courses, as far as I know. Teachers get paid a lot more than at language schools. I'm not sure what PON stands for, but it basically means "good money".
La_Magica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: PON Reply with quote

National Operational Programme (reversed in Italian).

Partially funded by the European Union. Only applies to jobs in the southern regions. I still haven't figured out how to access these jobs, but if you find out, let me know!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: