Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I AM SORRY, BUT I CAN NO LONGER GIVE OUT CONTACTS

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: I AM SORRY, BUT I CAN NO LONGER GIVE OUT CONTACTS Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I have been giving out contact emails for Schools in Ho Chi Minh City now for the past seven months, but I can no longer do it.

Unlike CHINA etc, the Vietnamese do not hire you over the Internet, sight unseen - they prefer to meet you face to face.

I would advise anyone just to show up with their resume in their hand and they could be working within one week of arriving in Saigon or Hanoi.
Work is easy to find - there is always a demand for teachers.

If you prefer to teach adults, most schools have classes from 6 - 9 p.m. and you can work for 15 hours a week and live quite well there.

If you have No Degree, No Qualificfations and No experience, life I had, you can expect to earn around $10 U.S. per hour. If you have those things, up to $17 U.S. per hour.

Accommodation is plentiful in Saigon and you can get a nice room with air con. and western bathroom and cable T.V. for $10 U.S. per night - cheaper if you are there for long term. Just check on the T.V. as sometimes, you only get to watch it for a few hours per day and then it is turned off - right in the middle of a movie you are enjoying!

I will no longer be able to give out my contacts in Vietnam and I am sorry about this but - firstly they are getting sick of emails via me (I have given the contacts to around 200 people in the last seven months) and also, I am so involved in my Orphanage work here in China, as well as the teaching, that I simply do not have the time.

Best of luck - just turn up and you will be working within the first week.
struelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: I AM SORRY, BUT I CAN NO LONGER GIVE OUT CONTACTS Reply with quote

This is interesting news Rhonda, thanks for posting.

As for giving out contacts, I think it's good to be discretionary about it.

There's nothing more upsetting than being kind to a person(s), only to have them take advantage of the information and/or resources you provide.

In EFL this seems to be a common thread, people giving out contact information and then 'friends' coming over in droves to milk that information.

Steve
hanisay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rhonda

It sounds like a good idea to not give out any more information as contact information as well as other info can get out of date, especially if you only lived here for a few months a while ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: