Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-EU: arriving to Prague and teaching in Prague - facts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITTP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elena.sprick wrote:
Hi Again....

I arrived in Prague on Wednesday and had my first interview today.

The school said that they cost of the visa would be 18,000 cks (not including the trip to Vienna). And if a one year contract is fulfilled the school will reimburse 10,000 of the cost. They said you first have to get a short term visa that will cover you while you apply for the long term visa.

Does all of this seem right? Will it really cost me that much??

No, that is NOT correct Elena.
Sounds like the school is simply using a visa agency, who in turn make money from the transaction of course.
The documents for getting the visa are less than 5,000 CZK plus the trip to Vienna (student agency buses make the one way trip for under 400 CZK:
http://www.studentagency.cz/cenik-101142/czech/

Best thing to do is to ask for a receipt with a rundown of costs.

Hezky vikend!/Lovely weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice! I really didn't think that seemed right...

Haven't been offered that job yet, but I will look more into the costs and figure out how to do it.

Thanks again!!!
Sigma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how much a short term visa costs, but it is probably around 70 euros. The long term visa costs around 90 euros. That right there is around 4,300kc.

The school I work for had to pay 2,000kc to the urad prace to get permission for the application to hire a foreigner. I assume your school included this in the total fee for the visa process. You then must also pay 500kc for the application of the work permit.

If documents need to be translated, that will cost 300kc a page... a rough estimate.

I am sure there are some other smaller costs, but these are all I can remember at the moment.

http://www.czech.cz/en/work-study/employment/working-in-the-czech-republic/working-in-the-czech-republic

18,000kc is on the high side, so the school might be going through a visa agency.
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma wrote:
I am not sure how much a short term visa costs, but it is probably around 70 euros. The long term visa costs around 90 euros. That right there is around 4,300kc.

The school I work for had to pay 2,000kc to the urad prace to get permission for the application to hire a foreigner. I assume your school included this in the total fee for the visa process. You then must also pay 500kc for the application of the work permit.

If documents need to be translated, that will cost 300kc a page... a rough estimate.

I am sure there are some other smaller costs, but these are all I can remember at the moment.

http://www.czech.cz/en/work-study/employment/working-in-the-czech-republic/working-in-the-czech-republic

18,000kc is on the high side, so the school might be going through a visa agency.

Thanks for more info!

Any idea if a short term visa is necessary or should I just be able to apply for a long term visa?
christine13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok quick question - I'm now in Prague taking my CELTA, and I've heard mixed responses to this inquiry. I'm a US-passport-holder. Do I need to register with either the foreign police or the US Embassy?

Also, is the registration with the US Embassy just an option? (I saw I can do it online).

FYI, I'm tentatively planning to find a job and stay in Prague after my CELTA.

Thanks
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back with another question...

I've been interviewing with a few different schools and seem to be getting a lot of mixed information.

A school I interviewed with yesterday was comparing the options of working as a full time employee vs. a freelance worker with a business license (it's a Zino or something, right?). Well, they were really pushing the idea of working freelance and showed me some figures that make it seem like I would be able to make a lot more money that way. They said as a full time employee I would have about 40% of my income taken away for taxes. That seems like a really high number, I though it was somewhere around 15%?

So, if anyone could advise me as to what is the better option for me and how I will be able to keep more of my money (and how much taxes are actually taken out each way), I would really appreciate it. It's confusing being a newbie here and not knowing what's true... Smile
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A business licence (Zivno) is almost always a better option. for both the teacher and the school, as it doesnt tie you down to one school. however, you really need help with getting it if youre a newbie, preferably a czech speaker to wade through the paperwork. there are some agencies that do it, i dont know what they charge. and a zivno is a better option if you are looking to stay for minimum 2 years.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how a zivno and a work visa work together, but if you are not from the UK you will want to clarify this issue with the school that is trying to hire you on a zivno. You will need a visa - and I THINK you need a regular contract and not a business license to get a visa.
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point spiral. I was assuming the posters was UK or Irish (dont forget us Irish) Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: