Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puerto Rico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teachme27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Has anyone taught ESL in PR? Would like some feedback on good schools and locations to teach FT. Also what is the salary like? Laughing Smile Shocked Crying or Very sad Wink
culley8115

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Puerto Rico Reply with quote

I've never taught in PR, but have been looking into moving there for a MA in ESL. Did you ever find an answer to your questions?
Mojoski

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: I'd like to know too Reply with quote

I never thought of PR before, but I'd be interested if there was a decent job.
shantaram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it necessary to speak Spanish to teach there?
Mojoski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shantaram wrote:

In a word, no. It's an American territory, so English is a pretty strong second language, which means that most people you deal with will be able to communicate in English, and even the beginning level students will probably be false beginners. If you do get students so low they can't understand your directions, and you don't have a bilingual aide, there's TPR and other tricks to get them started. The only thing is occasionally you'll see a school stipulate that the teacher be able to speak the first language. I think the main reason for that is so you can communicate with admin.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojoski wrote:
shantaram wrote:

In a word, no. It's an American territory, so English is a pretty strong second language, which means that most people you deal with will be able to communicate in English, and even the beginning level students will probably be false beginners. If you do get students so low they can't understand your directions, and you don't have a bilingual aide, there's TPR and other tricks to get them started. The only thing is occasionally you'll see a school stipulate that the teacher be able to speak the first language. I think the main reason for that is so you can communicate with admin.

Is there an ESL industry in Puerto Rico? Can't find anything on the subject, but I'm going there to visit next month and curious about job opportunities. If anyone can give me a heads up, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention a couple things about Puerto Rico, since I've been there.

1. English is the co-official language and mandatory to graduate high school. Most Puerto Ricans either don't speak it or pretend not to, but I imagine that given the requirements any Puerto Rican adult who doesn't speak it doesn't want to learn and promptly forgot what they learned in high school.
2. Puerto Rican Spanish is very different from the Spanish taught in Mainland US schools. I was able to get around fine when I went to Mexico, and can hold conversations in Spanish with Colombians, Argentines, and Spaniards, but I was barely able to communicate in Puerto Rico. Puerto Ricans will insist that their Spanish is just like any other Spanish, but it's more like the relationship between Jamaican English and North American/British/Australian English. (I have the same problem with Cubans in Miami.)
3. There's a very large Anglo expat community, especially in San Juan and the surfing areas of Rincon and Aguadillas. When I went to Puerto Rico several years ago I asked about an ESL industry, and none of the expats there knew anything about it. (See point 1.)

Regards,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: