Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Muslimitis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"saying that they aren't experiencing the same degree of change that you are and that what they are experiencing hasn't affected them as strongly as you've apparently been affected. And you dismiss THEIR estimates/reactions as being "unrealisitic" because they don't agree with yours. I'm sorry, but that strikes me as being fairly arrogant"

johnslat

The change that i am refering to is not the one happening to the individual rather it is the change or changes that are happening within Saudi society that i am referring to. You have yourself acknowledged that change is happening and that is my point. How individuals perceive this change is indeed variable. I have never said anything different. Of course there will be people who believe or perceive little has changed or they are hardly effected. However the number of people that have left or are planning to leave bears testament to the opposite. Further the majority of people i come into contact feel more negative about the place than they did before.
Overall this makes me feel obliged to give people who read this board the a very simple message ....Saudi is not a great place to come to at the moment.
I apologise if i appear to be arrogant this was not my intention.
I do feel obliged however to warn people of the increased difficulties in living here.
On a personal note i am not intending to leave right now. I am in a fortunate position where i have a very good job and where i have the opportunity to live in Bahrain if need be.
Nonetheless things could change anytime and if they do i will make a hasty exit.
ohman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh--then the money for the murders and slaughters in Turkey, Spain and Moscow must have come from such propserous Islamic countries as Sudan? Ehtiopia? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Indonesia?

Not only am I taking a break from Taif, I'm getting the eff out of this freakish country asap.

Boycot. Sanctions. Let 'em have it. Power to the freaking people and all that jazz!

Hell--the real world would continue to spin if we isolated this godforsaken country until the 90% who wish for reform and modernity develop the ballls to beaatch slap the 10% of the thugs who run the show, until KSA can join said real world.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Moscow the suspicion normally falls on the Chechens, though Putin is not averse to blowing up a few apartment blocks if he thinks it will create a backlash that will help him win the election.

In Spain the culprits appear to be Moroccans.

In Turkey it is quite possible they are indigenous.

Incidentally a fair number come from the UK. Considering the relative sizes of the Muslim population there compared to the number of convicted international terrorists, perhaps you ought to be boycotting the BBC and HP sauce.

I don't know where you get this obsession with money. Do you really think that terrorist organizations run expensive ad campaigns on www.Ali'sTerrorristTeashop.com and only take those with ten years experience of throat cutting and a degree in Chemical Engineering? And that they start asking questions on the forums about the quality of the 72 virgins they've been promised, and how they can negotiate an excess baggage allowance for their trip to Paradise (and can they bring their cats with them?).

I think the Madrid bombs used fertiizer. A 50kg bag of urea costs about $12 in most poor countiries, depending on whether it's subsidized or not. A coouple of guys on the dole could save up enough to blow up an embassy if they really put their mind to it and cut down on non-essential expenditure.

Last edited by Stephen Jones on Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohman,

Your own personal boycott of SALTS will achieve little. You are not the first unhappy ELI who has run away !
ohman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unhappy yes--runing no. I begin my outprocessing tomrrow.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohman,

I don't think anyone is suggesting that certain Saudis have - and probably still do - finance terror (c'mon - you can't have just woken up to this now? It's been common knowlege at least since 9/11, and long before that in some circles?).

What Scot was saying was that other countries - notably the US - also turned a blind eye to terrorist fund-raising when they did not see it as a threat to them. Since I'massuming you don't blame every US citizen for IRA atrocities over 25 years, you should also afford the same consideration to the vast majority of Saudis.
ohman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Thanks all Reply with quote

It took long enough but finally someone ratted me out to Riyadh. I have had my contract terminated. This means I get airfare and shipping plus gratuity owed. Had I simply resigned, or worse yet, pulled a runner, I would not have gotten these compensations.

Sure, there might have been quicker ways that wouldn't have caused so much noise here on this site, like walking into class eating a ham and cheese on rye, wearing a John 3:16 t-shirt. But I do have more respect for the 90% of these people who cower in fear of speaking out against the nutters.

So, whoever it was that forwarded my postings to Riyahd, I owe you dinner. Thanks mates and mattesses! Funny how a litle freedom of speech goes such a short way in this country.

To my students--Khalifa O., Hani Al Q., and especially Saleh M.--I wish you the best. As for that bearded Captain--he and his ilk are on the run and I have faith that by the time you take wives, your country will have joined the modern civilized world. The potential is here. Your hospitality is second to none in this old world.

Ma Salama sidikis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: