Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 best reasons to be an EFL teacher in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentle giant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: 10 best reasons to be an EFL teacher in Taiwan Reply with quote

10. You will never be lonely: desparate taiwanese trying to practice their english with you, so many English speakers from so many different places with so much to complain about. Laughing

9. You can drive your scooter/motorcycle anywhere! Yes, a bit risky and watch our for homicidal truck drivers, but most people are watching out for you, as they don't want a dent from your head on their lexus.

8. Your vehicle costs are less than a few nights on the town. (for a scooter) Gas costs 100nt/week.

7. You can afford to shop at Costco!! Microwave pizza, cheap booze...did I say microwave pizza?

6. You will never need a pair of socks. (I went two years without, except for 2 weddings)

5. The ocean is never far away. No, we don't have world class diving or surfing, but beautiful beaches abound and there's hardly anybody in the water!

4. People are nice. Yes, there is the staring, but hey, you're a celebrity! Enjoy it. You will miss feeling so special when you arrive home.

3. Cheap, cheap food everywhere that is delicious. Ok, so you have to explain you don't eat organs. But there is so much more...

2. Bushibans give lots of vacations. (you could be in S. Korea with only 10 days/year) So many chances to go to Thailand, HK, Bali, Japan, Malaysia, its all right here.

1. You get paid lots and lots to be an ass. Yes, we should be serious and invite the respect we desire and sometimes deserve, but getting paid this much to do the hokey pokey when I'd be getting just a third of that to build houses back home is brilliant!!!!!!!!!! Mr. Green (run-on sentence is for effect)! Cool
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but a lot of these things apply to Korea as well...

10. You will never be lonely: desparate Koreans trying to practice their english with you, so many English speakers from so many different places with so much to complain about.

9. You can take subway or train everywhere! Not risky like a scooter....

8. Subway costs 100nt/week maybe...

7. You can afford to shop at Costco!! Microwave pizza, cheap booze...did I say microwave pizza?

6. You will never need a pair of socks.

5. The ocean is never far away (depends if your in the south or not).4. People are nice. Yes, there is the staring, but hey, you're a celebrity! Enjoy it. You will miss feeling so special when you arrive home.

3. Cheap, cheap food everywhere that is delicious. Ok, so you have to explain you don't eat organs (not much of that in Korea) But there is so much more...

Quote:
2. Bushibans give lots of vacations. (you could be in S. Korea with only 10 days/year)

You get more than 10 days/ year in Korea...at least I do...

1. You get paid lots and lots to be an ass. Yes, we should be serious and invite the respect we desire and sometimes deserve, but getting paid this much to do the hokey pokey when I'd be getting just a third of that to build houses back home is brilliant!!!!!!!!!! (run-on sentence is for effect)!

Most of these apply for Korea...
gentle giant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: re: Yeah, but a lot of these things apply to Korea as well.. Reply with quote

I would add to these positives about Korea: (I very nearly went there, it boiled down to my desire to learn mandarin)

-Climate! Climate! Cool 4 seasons! Not winter and fall like in Canada, or just spring and summer as you have in Taiwan. Maybe it's hot in summer, but you only have to endure 4 months of it. Maybe cold in winter, but you can play in the snow! You can go skiing. That's one thing I really miss while in Taiwan.

-generally more modern than Taiwan (in my opinion, and I've only been to Seoul) That is, as far as architectural beauty, urban planning, and less pollution.

-yes the subway is way cool. Taipei has a good one too, and Kaohsiung is getting one soon, but doesn't even come close to how extensive the ones in Korean cities are.
gg Very Happy
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Spring Scream Reply with quote

We have a little woodstock down at the marine national park in Kenting, every year. Got raided last year because too many locals were doing things of an illicit nature, but a good time none the less.
nasigoreng

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: i disagree Reply with quote

There are many conveniences I like in Taiwan.
>>>>I ride my bicycle everywhere! It takes me 5 minutes to get to work and 10 minutes to get downtown or to the nightmarket.
>>>>The salary vs cost of living is great.
>>>> No way could I have a 3 bd / 2bth apartment for ~US$300/month in the States.

*** But I am leaving Taiwan because I HAVE been lonely and depressed here. In 2 years, I've NEVER had a sincere relationship w/ any Taiwanese girl (only a few dates- when they find out I'm here temporarily, they lose interest).

*** I've HEARD that the mountains in Taiwan are beautiful but they are inaccessable unless you have car (and someone who knows how to get there).

*** High School kids shouting " Hi how are you?" as fast as they can doesn't qualify as 'practicing English' - I'm sure they don't give a d*mn how I feel.

*** The environmental quality is hellacious, I'm constantly assaulted by "renao" (?) and on top of that - every breath I take includes someone else's 2nd hand cigarette smoke.

*** I NEVER had a vacation when I worked at a Bushiban - which is probably why I burned out and quit.

I'm appreciative of my experience in Taiwan, I'll be even more appreciative of my native country when I return.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs can shi t anywhere they want.

You can burp and fart freely in public.

You can spit beetle nut juice anywhere you want.

You can ride motorcycles on the sidewalks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: