Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call Center Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gharwell1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Call Center Jobs Reply with quote

I understand there are a lot of Call Centers in Costa Rica. What are the needs for ESL, Soft Skills and accent reduction trainers in the centers?
OleLarssen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Sykes has a special program for those activities, and I would guess most of the bigger call centers do as well, in one way or another. I'll PM you a phone number for a guy in Sykes you can ask.

Are you in Costa Rica now? I've a friend who is interested in some help with accent reduction.
Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Call Center Reply with quote

I'm in Oman but am considering a change. I worked in CR in 1979 and I got my call center experience int he states and teaching for a big center in India. If I could get a job that pays as well as this one I have now I would consider a change
OleLarssen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The call centers here pay ~$4-$5 an hour doing standard customer service stuff, which is only barely enough to get by if you're living in a room somewhere eating rice and beans every day. They can pay it because they hire Ticos who live at home and don't know any better, I guess. :)
justenanderson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The call centers here pay ~$4-$5 an hour doing standard customer service stuff, which is only barely enough to get by if you're living in a room somewhere eating rice and beans every day."

I found this statement interesting. I've heard that most teaching jobs pay about $4-5/hr and that it was enough to make a good living. In your experience, do most teaching jobs pay better? How much does it take to get by? My girlfriend and I will be splitting expenses, so that will help, but we aren't sure what the budget is going to look like.
OleLarssen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you teach business classes they will pay around 7-8 dollars an hour. That's what most people do to get by, as far as I know. If you find a job teaching English in a private school (like, a normal school) or university it'll be a different cup of tea, though. I have no idea what a budget would be like, but earning $1000 a month with $350ish rent and perhaps $100-$150 a month in normal expenses is comfortable, but only barely.
deessell2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you teach online? That's what I did when I lived in Costa Rica. I made about $11 for a 45 minute session. No prep, nice students and I was always paid. I was able to earn about $1000 per month, which is very good for a teacher in CR.

The company I worked for is advertising at the moment. Just make sure your internet connection is GOOD!
OleLarssen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deessell2 - I thought about doing that but I couldn't bring myself to trust my internet enough. What kind of connection did you have?
deessell2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the exact name of the company but it took quite a few visits from technical support. The time difference helps also as you won't be accessing the internet at peak times. I was also living in San Jose, not the countryside.
justenanderson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why don't you teach online? That's what I did when I lived in Costa Rica. I made about $11 for a 45 minute session. No prep, nice students and I was always paid. I was able to earn about $1000 per month, which is very good for a teacher in CR. "

Seriously? That sounds really good for CR. What were you teaching and to whom? English to Ticos?

I think I could prioritize a good internet connection for that type of pay and flexibility.
PuraVidas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the website where they pay $1k per month to teach online?
deessell2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that they paid $1000 a month. I said that is what I earned approximately per month. It depends how many classes you teach and how good you are.

The base pay is about $8 per 45 minutes and then they have a bonus structure. The company's name is Tutor ABC. They have received some negative press but I found them to be okay. They always gave me enough classes and they ALWAYS paid me.

They are advertising now on Dave's.
sienna24

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philippine call center and call center philippines are very strict when hiring agents. Applicants must meet their requirements before they can land a job. Those companies require that every applicants must gone through some trainings, seminars and some conferences regarding on the field they are applying to.[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: