Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graduate Certificate in TESOL - Victoria University

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cubic09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Graduate Certificate in TESOL - Victoria University Reply with quote

Has anyone completed one of these qualifications before? I'm finishing my undergraduate studies and am considering taking this course over the summer term at Victoria University here in Wellington: http://www.victoria.ac.nz/lals/degrees/cert-tesol.aspx

The course involves the fundamentals of ESL learning, and also involves weekly teaching to student volunteers who are learning English themselves.

The reason why this course interests me over the CELTA and Trinity qualifications (which I would otherwise do) is that it is eligible for government loans and allowances. The vast majority of TESOL courses are not, primarily because of their short duration (typically four weeks).

If anyone has had any experience of such a course through a university or polytechnic, I would love to hear from you. Very Happy
Cubic09

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm not sure that this forum gets all that much action...I've posted it under the 'Newbie' thread also just in case. Shocked
celticbutterfly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the DipTESOL at Victoria waay back in 1995 and found it a really excellent course. Many of the faculty are still the same, and there are some world leaders in their field there (Paul Nation is one - brilliant guy). The Cert is part of that Diploma, so if you wanted to continue after the Cert you should be able to do the Diploma. The one problem with doing a non-CELTA TEFL course, I find, is that your qualification won't be recognised as being 'as good', if you are applying for jobs in other countries. Sure, this may be Govt subsidised, etc, but if you want to go overseas to teach English you really should save up and do the CELTA or Trinity. Of the two, the CELTA is the most internationally recognised. Before I did my Masters Degree, I sometimes had trouble convincing future employers that my Diploma was any good! If you are seriously considering ESL as a career, then the DipTESOL is half of a Masters degree in Applied Linguistics - something to think about if you want decent jobs (universities, high paying jobs - all of them require Masters Degrees).

So, in summary:
1) staying in New Zealand to teach immigrants? This Cert should be enough
2) staying in NZ to teach at EFL language schools? You might need the Diploma instead of the Certificate, probably the CELTA to start with.
3) going overseas to teach in China / East Asian cram schools? This Cert plus a university degree MIGHT be enough, but recommend CELTA and a degree.
4) going overseas to make a career in teaching English? CELTA, DipTESOL and Masters would be a pretty good mix.
Cubic09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticbutterfly wrote:
The one problem with doing a non-CELTA TEFL course, I find, is that your qualification won't be recognised as being 'as good', if you are applying for jobs in other countries.

Thanks celticbutterfly! I had figured that because it was a university qualification, it would be held in some esteem by employers within NZ and overseas...your comments are interesting.

The Certificate course seems quite full-on, and comes at a period where I will otherwise be getting full-time employment. Your comment has prompted me to consider a CELTA course that I could take on a more flexible schedule.
celticbutterfly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cubic09 wrote:
I had figured that because it was a university qualification, it would be held in some esteem by employers within NZ and overseas...your comments are interesting.

No, unfortunately not. Employers for good teaching jobs want the magic letters 'CELTA' or 'MA' written after the names of people they hire. These TESOL certificates offered by NZ universities and polytechs really aren't worth the paper they are printed on, because you can't do a damn thing with them except home tutoring immigrants, or teaching in some very suspect cram school in deepest China Confused . Even NZ undergraduate degrees have a problem in some countries because they are only 3 years, not 4 years like the US universities, and so employers don't think THEY are good enough, either.

I didn't get the CELTA but I really wish I had, because it is probably the best start for an EFL teacher to have. It's a really intense course so be prepared, but it's something you'll really value having afterwards. I would highly recommend you do it.

Good luck! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: