Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting out-clueless

View previous topic :: View next topic  
japolak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Starting out-clueless Reply with quote

hello everyone. Im a polish-canadian working in japan as an english teacher. Ive been here for over a year now, but im interested in teaching in france for a year. I was wondering if anyone can give me some adivce on how to get started? any advice would be great. thank you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you can go on a work-study program through a US university, you will have a near-impossible time getting work visas for France.

North American and other non-EU citizens have very small chances to get legal working visas for most of the Western European countries - this will include Spain, Italy, etc.

You CAN get work permits for the 'new' EU countries - Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia, etc.

The EU countries restrict hiring of English teachers to EU citizens in the places where British teachers are enough to fill most/all places. France is obviously a desirable location, and there are essentially enough British teachers, so non-Europeans have very little chance in these regions.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - if you're a Polish citizen, your chances improve somewhat!!
japolak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for your response but im confused.

Citizens of full European (EFTA, EEA) Member Countries are able to live and work in France without a visa or work permit.

The EEA includes these countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

Also,

France currently has working holiday agreements with Canada, New Zealand and Australia
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I said in my second post. If you also have a Polish passport, you ARE able to work legally in France!!

You can apply for a WHV if you meet the criteria.

Yes.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Polish passport or a Canadian passport or both?

If you enter France using a Polish passport you have the right to live there and work there without needing any carte de sejour/residents permit/work permit.

You used the phrase Polish/Canadian but that isn't actually a nationality.[/u]
japolak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I have both. I was born in Poland.

But my main concern isnt getting the visa/permit. Its getting a job.
Can some recommend schools? how do i start?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most jobs in Europe aren't found from abroad. It's different from Asia - there are lots of qualified teachers around, so reputable schools basically want to see you standing there in their offices, looking professional, CV in hand, ready to do a demo lesson, before they will give you a second thought.

That's why the start-up costs are so much higher for Europe - you have to get yourself here (flights nearly NEVER being paid by a school) and support yourself until you get a job.

Further, if you don't have a certification, you'll need to think about getting one. It's about the job market - almost all teachers here have a basic cert (120 hours on-site, including supervised teaching practice with real students, CELTA being the name brand) and if you haven't got this, you can't compete well.

Overall, there is much less demand for teachers in Europe as compared to Asia - and lots of well-qualified teachers around. You'll need to be able to make the investment in time, money, and training to get started here...
riverboat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with spiral, it's highly unlikely you'll be offered a job or even an interview until you're actually living in France and they've seen you in person. And start-up costs ARE high: in Paris at least, where the cost of living is phenomenal...

That said, in my experience once you're here, it's not that difficult to find a job. I came to Paris, did the CELTA, then made a list of all the language schools in Paris (by looking in FUSAC and the Pages Jaunes, and being given some names from friends), plotted them on a big map, then spent two days walking round them all giving them my CV and a covering letter, in person. I had a job two days later.
ANNIEBANANIE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just be aware that our 'wonderful leader' Sarkozy surpressed over 11,000 primary and secondary school teaching possitions this year. Bad news for them. Bad news for students. Bad news for France's future.

The down side for us,I'm guessing,is that some of them will be obliged to job hunt within our sector.

The up side, again I'm guessing, is that the students will be needing more one to one tuition.

Good luck to all of us!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: