Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bureaucratic Catch 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jessdingding

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Bureaucratic Catch 22 Reply with quote

I'm just in England doing my research for moving to Lyon where I'll be next week.

I intend to get the Loca-pass guarantee as I don't have a job yet or any other way of providing a guarantor for a flat. However, in order to get that I need an R.I.B. so I need to open a bank account. In order to open a bank account I need to provide evidence of permanent residence such as a housing contract. I'm planning to stay in one of the hostels for young professionals on my arrival so don't know how I will be able to swing that.

I think there are going to be similar problems when I try to register with ASSEDIC to show that I am job-searching (I suppose I'll need bank account details), but I will try asking the British Job centre about that.

Has anyone found a way of getting around such problems?
brownieleslie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, in order to get that I need an R.I.B. so I need to open a bank account. In order to open a bank account I need to provide evidence of permanent residence such as a housing contract.

Can't help you with the rest, but you don't always need to have proof of residence to open an account. When I arrived in France I opened my account at Credit du Nord and gave my school's address as my own. If you haven't got a job lined up at arrival give them the foyer's address. You may have to visit a few banks but you should be able to find one that doesn't require documentation of residence.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Understand the Bureau ! Reply with quote

If you are a UK citizen then you have many EU advantages - one of them is that you can get a great deal of help your job hunting anywhere in the EU.

So - simple thing for you do is to register as unemployed if you are not already registered

Ask to see the EU jobs adviser and tell him/her that you want to search for a job in France.

You can have help
1 Tickets paid for you to go and look for work
2 Tickets paid to attend an interview
3 For the first 3 months that you are in-country your UK unemployment benefit will continue to be paid to you.

Opening a Bank Account can be done from a hostel if you have reserved a long stay. There are many thousands of students who live in youth hostels during their years of study and they get bank accounts. The receipts that you get for your room hire will be accepted as proof of residence.

Check fusac.fr for job opps, flats, flat sharing etc etc

A little research can save a lot of anxiety.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a tent and find french girlfriend
quoi_de_neuf?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jess,

Why not stay in one of the "business-style" hotels, where you get a reduced rate for longer stay, like a few weeks... Could be an option whilst you're flat-hunting. The admin IS difficult, but as I'd advise you to do the following (in this order):

- Speak to UK Jobcentre about your situation to see if they can help you out financially whilst you're job-hunting in France... Or just to get advice, really.
- Stay in a hostel / hotel (quite reasonable hotel prices if you hunt around)... I did this when I first moved here and whilst it was a bit pricey, it didn't break the bank and gave me a base with 'no strings' (i.e. no obligation to stay for X number of weeks)
- Go to see someone from the ASSEDIC, so that they're at least in the loop and can maybe start a dossier.. you're right that you'll need an address and RIB to get any ch�mage money, but admin here is so slow, that if you take the initiative, it's likely things'll get done faster
- Job-hunt! Do you have anything lined up? I know of 2 places currently recruiting for language teachers, so PM me if you want that info!
- Flat-hunt... Generally, you'll need proof of income in order to sign a lease on a flat, so you'll need a copy of your job contract / letter from your employer... The job and flat-hunt can therefore be done at the same time, as administratively they go hand-in-hand!
- Open a bank account as soon as you get a flat and job! Cr�dit Lyonnais is good - friendly, helpful and doesn't take too long to get account set up.. oh, and there are branches all over the place, so easy to find the relevant ATM (you get charged for using other banks' ATMs)

Hope that helps Wink Get in touch when you come to Lyon, if you like!

Quoi de neuf
mesomorph

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously in 'Garnt' the shop you can get a one man tent with a sleeping bag and two walking poles for 25 euro.

Don't waste money on traditional hotels and the like. Seriously you will be fine. It just takes some balls and a willingness to challenge your comfort zones.

You can only get UK unemployment benefit in the EU if you have paid enough national insurance contributions. If you are not on income based allowance you won't get it.

I'm pretty sure ASSEDIC only give you money if you have had a job in France.
ANNIEBANANIE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The French are bureaucrat-aholics!!

Bank account:
I had the same problem when I came to France over 3 years ago. What I did was go to the town hall and get a temp address there for free. This system is often used by SDF (sans domecile fixe) so you can discuss it with the CAF or Assedic.It works just like a PO Box and this address is acceptable as proof of residence to open an account with La Banque Postal which is the only place I found that will allow you to open an account without a 'fixed' address. Once you have a fixed address and income you can always change banks. I've chosen to stay with La Poste.

Loca-Pass:
When I came here first I wasn't in a possition to be able to pay a deposit so applied for the Loca-Pass which I got. Loca-Pass is a loan so you have to be able to prove thta you can pay it back which means of course, you have to be employed. It doesn't matter how little you earn. I was a part-time pot-wap in a restaurant at the time. The repayments are calculated by seeing how much of your earnings you can pay back over a certan period of time. They are also quite flexable so you can chose to increas or decrease repayments as your situation changes. At one stage I was paying back as little as 10 Euros a month until I found a better job!The good news is that once you pay it back, you can apply for it again if needed.

I'd be interested to see how other people got around this 'catch 22'.

I hope this has been helpful to someone. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: