Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 2010

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pigeon_85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: January 2010 Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering just recently about coming out looking for jobs in Rome in January straight after new year looking for jobs. My thinking behind this is that from now until then I can work in England doing any sort of work saving up cash to support me when looking for work when I'm out there.

What do you guys on here think about this idea? Basically I'm just wondering if there will be much work available in January or if I will have missed the boat by then?

Thanks a lot.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully TeacherinRome will be along soon. She isn't there anymore but knows the place well.

You might be lucky with new courses starting in the New Year: personal NY resolutions or new financial year company budgets, plus some people disappearing after going home for Christmas. It's difficult to tell; where I am they seem reluctant to start after the summer holidays until about now!

You've certainly got the right idea about saving before you go as you'll find Italy expensive for many things. No premium for having a few quid now either at current exchange rates! Good idea to get yourself a little teaching library if you don't already have one. Amazon is fine but bookshops here won't have much.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely second SueH!

It's by no means impossible to find work in January, but Sept / Oct is better for new courses. Start researching schools now - let them know you're aiming to be over in January so you have some names etc to call when you do come over. (Might save you a week or so.) January teaching will only start after first week (Epiphany is a public holiday, so assume the Monday after that).

There's a good bookshop in Rome - Feltrinelli International. It's on the road leading from Repubblica metro down to Barberini, and has a decent selection of coursebooks, resources, exam material, etc. But don't rely on more esoteric titles, so bring your "oldies but goodies" with you. If you can, concentrate on business English rather than general English, as there's a lot more scope here. Oh, and bring copies of your degree, cert, cv etc, as well as health insurance papers for the first year.
Pigeon_85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the help/advice its great. At the moment I am trying to decide between Spain (Madrid) and Italy (Rome). I have been to both cities and lived in Padova for 3 months last year which I loved but I want to learn another language and I kind of think Spanish would be of more use so that is pushing me to Spain, but I also loved Italy!

So I have a decision to make...

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: