Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blue Card for teaching in English Colleges??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Blue Card for teaching in English Colleges?????? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if a blue card is needed for teaching in english colleges in Oz? Getting one shouldnt be a prob for me, but I am at a bit of a loss when on the form they ask for your addresses for the past 5 years. I have been all over the world backpacking and teaching for the past 5 years. Has anyone any info on this? Perhaps I should just ignore this part????
keitepai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I applied for my blue card in 2006 for Queensland it took ages because they were doing background police checks in NZ, where I had lived all my life!! Hate to think what it would be like for you.
I have called the information line before and they were helpful
1800113 611 sorry don't have an international number. Smile
nomad22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

well that's ok; if theyre the ones doing the check. meaning that i dont have to get the embassy or whomever to supply a form of my good character that's fine. i just thought if i had to provide the police check itd be a nightmare, if it's their (our police's) nightmare that's their problem. still, im not sure it isnt easier to just by pass all that abroad time, afterall in that time i visited 29 countries over the 8 years!
keitepai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking they wont bother to check up on you?! Australia is very hot on legislitave requirements and will never give you a blue card without all the checks being done.

Sure if you have nothing to worry about ll is good but it could take a lot of time................if you can wait thats fine.

Drop them a mail and check if it is still the case that they do the background check - also NZ and Oz have a reciprocal agreement with almost anything so their systems are much more alligned with no translations etc. How many languages?!! You may find you are liable to provide verified translations from some countries. Smile
nomad22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="keitepai"]Are you thinking they wont bother to check up on you?! quote]

certainly not, however i am not sure how it is possible to get these checks from 29 countries. you say i may have to provide "verified copies", copies of what? i dont have anything to show them, just many stamps in my passport. probably these checks relate more specifically to time one spends in a country when they LIVE there. who knows??
nomad22

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keitepai wrote:
also NZ and Oz have a reciprocal agreement with almost anything so their systems are much more alligned with no translations etc. How many languages?!!

and you said that took them an age! so how long would it take to check countries like pakistan, syria, egypt, china, laos, nepal, india, etc etc etc etc??? lol!!!
keitepai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I wouldn't like to be in your position!! What a rich life you must have led - lots of cultural experiences to enrich your teaching.
Don't give up hope with the Blue card though, I think it is worth perservering.

I meant translations of letters/documents verifying you have no criminal records in some or all of these countries. Here in Turkey translation is often a hinderance for my documents from NZ, I had to provide letters from my last employers stating I was not being prosecuted for any wrongdoings, was very simple and the authorities here were satisfied by a simple letter.

Although in Oz they are more vigilant they sometimes consider individual circumstances within reason AND you can explain to them your situation in English. My advice is to only include those countries as places of residence where you worked/taught for a significant time (maybe 6 months plus) otherwise it really is 'travelling' not residence. Still show your passport details so it's all upfront. What do you think?

Really, you can only try and if it fails go to 'Plan B' whatever that may be Very Happy
dazedandconfuzzed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your original question (or at least throw in some confusion), I'm not sure you need a blue card if you are not teaching students under 18 or if your school doesn't teach under 18s.

I worked for a short time in a private language school which did have children but only for about 10 weeks of the year. I think most or many of the teachers did have blue cards. The office said I didn't require one if I didn't teach the children and there had possibly been some kind of change in the law which made this so. I'm sorry, my memory's a bit hazy here.

Then I worked for 6months in another school which definitely did not require me to have a blue card as there were no under 18s. I'm sorry I can't remember the details, but you remember why you need something more than why you don't. I originally also did cover at a school with 18+ students and they didn't ask for it. Yes, I was fully taxed, legal etc in these schools. (I am not Australian though, I'm British).

To summarize or clarify my point; I'd advise you to check in more depth whether you actually need a blue card if you don't intend to work with under 18s.
nomad22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: blue card Reply with quote

no worries, got my blue card over a year ago. if you work at any school in australia you are supposed to have a blue card. my school doesnt have anyone under 17 yet it is still compulsory to have a blue card - and this is supposedly govt policy.

just out of curiosity, does nz have a blue card system too?
keitepai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

No blue card system for NZ but an automatic police & CYFS (Child Youth Family Services) check with an application for Teacher Registration with NZ Teachers Council. All teachers in schools and Early Childhood services must be registered.

Otherwise there is a separate check done I believe for non teaching positions with children under the same government departments.
Smile
nomad22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, but im talking about ESL teaching in private language schools, not kids' schools.
keitepai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess there would be a general police check if you are working in a teaching institution such as a language school.
As a rule NZ is fairly hot on previous convictions and you would usually be asked to disclose anything on your record from other countries. if you have nothing to worry about then it's all sweet.

Also, immigration will check your record before you come in to NZ - vice versa with us coming into Australia even on holidays. They will look for serious convictions above assault especailly drugs. Does your passport have that 'chip' in it? All our new ones are changing over so all countries can track information easily.

As you say you have been to a lot of different countries.....so it is more difficult to provide info but if you have your Blue card then that is a good start Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: