Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pigeon_85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: January 2010 Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering just recently about coming out looking for jobs in Prague in January straight after new year looking for jobs. My thinking behind this is that from now until then I can work in England doing any sort of work saving up cash to support me when looking for work when I'm out there.

What do you guys on here think about this idea? Basically I'm just wondering if there will be much work available in January or if I will have missed the boat by then?

Thanks a lot.
cks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine if you come the second and third week of January- but many classes will also begin in February. I say to get here by the end of January the first week will be slow.
Pigeon_85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. Could I also ask what good places you would suggest applying to from your own experience?

Thanks again.
cks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel Crossings, Jipka, Presto, James Cook, St. James, ARS Liguarum, and London Institute
ITTP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
You will be fine if you come the second and third week of January- but many classes will also begin in February. I say to get here by the end of January the first week will be slow.

Yes, January classes don't really get underway until mid-January - when students and schools are fully operational after the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Neville Smile

ITTP TEFL Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1 - bang in the center of the city!
sisyphus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been here for 14 years and the situation for english lessons is the worst ive ever seen. I think you would be extremely lucky just to get part time work from my knowledge. I know experienced teachers with just a handful of hours. Of course you may get extremely low paid work but Prague is very expensive for accommodation relative to earnings. The economy has effectively stalled here.
eclectic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....looking for jobs in Prague in January straight after new year looking for jobs.........from now until then I can work in England doing any sort of work when looking for work when I'm out there.

how many times is that "looking for jobs" and "working"? Smile
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how true is sisyphus's message, people? i know at my school, things are still ticking over pretty well - plenty of classes. but i know we have a lot of applicants too, which seems to indicate that there is "more supply than demand" on the job market.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Prague grapevine generally agrees that there is a bit less work and more teachers than in past years, though I've only heard one or two 'dire' stories.

I think it's entirely understandable - there is a general economic downturn, which tends to bring more hopefuls into the field and to generate less work all around.
smithryansmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
My Prague grapevine generally agrees that there is a bit less work and more teachers than in past years, though I've only heard one or two 'dire' stories.

I think it's entirely understandable - there is a general economic downturn, which tends to bring more hopefuls into the field and to generate less work all around.

In some ways, its just the market balancing itself out, thinning the herd, so to speak. It should make the market stronger. (sorry if that sounds like Nitzche)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: