Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU passport/citizenship....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: EU passport/citizenship.... Reply with quote

Hello,
I am in Calgary Canada right now, and am currently researching destinations to set my TESOL certified butt down!
I really would like to work in Europe (Spain, Germany, Italy). I have my TESOL, a BA and some teaching experiance.
Anywho...
Would it be impossible to get a job without a EU passport? Could I get citizenship if my granddad is from the UK? So, in general I am clueless about work permits and job opportunities in Europe...
Could someone help?

Smiles, Kori
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you can't get a British passport on the strength of a British grandparent. To get a British passport automatically you must have one parent who was a British citizen (by birth - ie born in the UK) and your parents must have been married when you were born.

As for getting a job in the EU without an EU passport: it will be possible but varies from country to country. Some countries are much easier (for example Poland plans to remove the need for work permits for ALL native speaker language teachers) some are harder (Holland is supposed to be all but impossible for non-EU citizens). It also depends what kind of job you want. If you are happy working illegally then there is work in Spain and Italy. But working illegally opens you up to all sorts of risks....
Kori

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
So, if I was to work in Spain or Italy, how crazy are the risks? I am assuming it is probably not recommended!...but I really want to.
What EU countries would it be easier to get a permint in?

Kori
lajzar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Shulgin wrote:
...To get a British passport automatically you must have one parent who was a British citizen (by birth - ie born in the UK) and your parents must have been married when you were born.

If that is true then I have the best passport forgery in the world. Neither of my parents were born as UK citizens (or subjects for that matter).

My father got his on the basis of the British army having already recruited him and promoted him before anyone bothered asking what nationality he was. I then got mine of the basis of my father having the right nationality when I was born and my parents being married.

Unfortunately, I don't think this loophole is that easy to use, as you'd have to ask your father to travel back in time, join the British army, and successfully avoid anyone asking about his nationality. This is a non-trivial task.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: EU = United States of Europe ? Reply with quote

The European Union is not a federal state. It is more like a loose confederation where much authority is retained by the member states.

Law on citizenship and nationality, including passports and who can have one, is decided at the national level. So the rules in Portugal are NOT the same as the rules in Ireland.

There is no such thing as a "EU passport". There are passports issud by states which are members of the EU.

Sorry to quibble but it seems to me an important point
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: