Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELT Job Opportunities in Secondary Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter McAlpine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: ELT Job Opportunities in Secondary Schools Reply with quote

I have noticed that some people are enquiring about teaching jobs in Bangkok. Here are a few comments, which I hope are useful.

You don't only have to think about working in a language school. Secondary schools are now able to hire English Teachers and get a work permit for them. Brian's comments at the following URL are an accurate reflection of the situation:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=5727b7ce3cfa9bbbaefd67f9d82011dc&showtopic=7312&st=0&#entry60067

I would imagine that the schools will all want a B.A., but if you don't have one, yet have ELT experience, then apply anyway. You never know. Things are flexible here. You will have to stay a year at the school, though, and you will have to dress politely and behave very well. By this I mean that teachers have high social status in Thailand and are looked up to by parents and children, so you have to be a role model.

The big schools can pay more than 30,000 Baht a month + benefits (no company car, I'm afraid!), but most can't. There are many jobs in provincial secondary schools as well, of course. The salary is low, but you will have no trouble getting private students. The salary lasts longer in provincial towns rather than Bangkok.

Quite frankly, one doesn't come to Thailand teaching English in order to get rich. The wealth comes in the experience, which is worth so much more. By staying here a year, you just don't know whom you will meet and what doors will open to other opportunities. I came in 1984, got married, and all sorts of doors opened. The UK is a foreign country to me now and Thailand is home.

Give the country a go. I encourage you not to be put off by the postings about touts, gem scams, tuk-tuk drivers, etc. You'll soon learn why things are as they are and how to avoid the difficulties.
jo3box3r

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: 1st time to write Reply with quote

Hey guys, hows it going.. ust want to say.. I love thailand, but ya.. the money is not that good, but the place is amazing.. So I am taking the risk, and will be in BKK full itme in 2 -3 months..
Peter McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Joseph Reply with quote

Joseph, well done for giving the country a try!

Yes, the money is not terrific, but for those who integrate themselves into the country, culture, etc., and who learn the language, the intangible rewards are huge, and in my opinion of a far greater value than money. Doors open once you learn the language and the do's and don'ts of Thai culture. You might not even find yourself teaching English for long. You might even find yourself moving into the hotel industry in Thailand or abroad. (English teaching opens that door.).

If one delves deep below the surface of Thai life, Thailand is a country where there are so many opportunities to make the following quotation a reality in one's life:

�You and I want our lives to matter. We want our lives to make a real difference - to be of genuine consequence in the world. We know that there is no satisfaction in merely going through the motions, even if those motions make us successful, or even if we have arranged to make those motions pleasant. We want to know we have made some impact on the world. In fact, you and I want to contribute to the quality of life. We want to make the world work.� Werner Erhard

I wish you well!

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: