Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good idea for single, american girl to work in Colombia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sultaneh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: good idea for single, american girl to work in Colombia? Reply with quote

I know there are the stereotypes about kidnapping and murder.

I am still curious about going there. i've heard it's a beautiful place.

once I met a very rich Colombian family at Vail ski resort in the USA. they were descendant from white Europeans but spoke Spanish, as they were from Colombia. They were very nice and polite and everything. It didn't seem like they were so concerned about leaving Colombia, but this was back in 1998. Not sure how things have changed there, if it's safer or not.

also met a guy a few years ago who was mixed with lots of things but predominantly he was native Colombian. He was from Bogota. He said his country was not very safe, and told everyone not to go there or they would be kidnapped or killed!

So I am a single girl from the USA, early 20's, native English speaker. Do you think it's a good idea for me to try to work and live in Colombia?
TravellingAround

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Colombia for a few years now and never had any problems whatsoever. Mainly it is all about being street smart, staying in areas you are comfortable with and just being careful. I am still to be kidnapped yet and frankly I have almost given up waiting... Razz

The main danger to a single foreign lady seems to be as regards her wedding finger. There is a remarkable success rate here of gringas finding a partner from among the locals. Furthermore you will never, ever hear a heterosexual foreign guy complaining about the beauty of Colombian women.

Beautiful country, great lifestyle, many open and friendly people to meet. Sure you should come...just take the usual precautions which you should do everywhere and do not go to places you are told are dangerous.

Colombia has come a long way in the last decade or so.
sultaneh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, it sounds so nice there! thank you for sharing your opinion, it sounds better than I imagined. I'm glad to hear that things have improved over the past 10 years.

can you tell me if it is a dog-friendly society? I have a medium sized dog that I am considering bringing with me wherever I go.
TravellingAround

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were plenty of dog owners and no problems.

The bigger consideration would be how easy it would be to bring a dog from the US to Colombia so I would advise look into that.
sultaneh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, travelling around
MrG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Colombia in February, in Bogota, the security has improved and there are cops all over the place. Just stay away from places you are warned about, don't have anything on that looks like it's valuable, and try learning some Spanish before going there. If possible, have someone meet you at the airport. If you go to Bogota remember that it is several feet above sea level, so take it easy the first few days.
berraquita

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t find Bogot� any more dangerous than San jose, Costa Rica for instance.

If you are a single, American girl you will have no problems (although you might not be single for long... jajajaa).

In Bogot� I walk home at night, take the bus, travel around to a variety of neighbourhoods with a variety of social classes.

Travelling around the country at night is also fine, and this wasn�t the case a few years ago.

just like any major city, in Bogot� there are streets that you shouldn�t walk down alone at night. One just needs to follow the same rules you would in any large, foreign city. It helps to talk to locals or people atthe institute you work with, or other foreigners who have lived in Colombia for a while about what safe practices are.

It helps to know some Spanish as, since there are not as many foreigners as, say Peru, the level of English of most people is rough to non-existent.

I have been pickpocked once and full out robbed another time but that was because I was �dando papaya� or had my cell phone out, at night on the 19th street on a bus. I am confidant that this would have happened in any other large city in America, had I been doing the same thing.
freegeorge

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: good idea for single, american girl to work in Colombia? Reply with quote

I've never been a single, American girl, so I can't tell you. Very Happy But, I enjoy living here.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Security in Colombia Reply with quote

...I go in and out of Colombia all the time, and what I've heard (not experienced) is merely this: That public security improved in the early years of Uribe's administration, and then deteriorated again in the past year. However, I think we can all agree that public safety has pretty well deteriorated in just about all of Latin America in recent years. I tend to feel safer in Colombia because there is a strong, very efficient military presence. Guards and cops and checkpoints everywhere. But I have my radar on 24/7 to protect myself against muggers, pick pockets, and all the petty opportunistic criminals who seem to be everywhere.
SpaceCadet51

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dogs in Colombia Reply with quote

I was an airline customer service agent for 25 years before reforming and deciding to teach abroad. My experience with sending pet dogs to Colombia is ... to quote my late father ... shake your head and the idea will go away. You will not be able to bring the dog in the cabin with you, and putting a dog in cargo ... well, I would never recommend that to anyone, because I have seen the way dogs are treated. While most ramp agents will place the dog carefully in the cargo compartment, if there is any turbulence -- which occurs in every flight, especially flying into anywhere in South America -- the temperature is uneven, suitcases move around, cages get crushed ... you can imagine. Or maybe you don't want to. Then there is the treatment by the ramp agents on the other end. If you want your puppy to be well treated, find a well-meaning relative or friend to care for it, or just stay home. I'm serious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: