Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y.I.C.-Family Housing & International School?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: I Apologize Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Cleopatra,

When I was a child, my father always insisted that if I wronged another that I ought to be man enough to apologize. Unfortunately, as I age I sometimes forget those important lessons I was taught long ago.

Fortunately, I have been reminded by my peers that when one crosses the line of what is considered acceptable behavior (including verbal diatribes, like attacking another unjustly with scalding words, as I did with you), one should be willing to say they were wrong.

I was wrong. I sincerely apologize for my mad-dog response to your post which, I acknowledge, was not directed to me.

James
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulder chips are easy to acquire in KSA.

Some people get them as an adjustment strategy.

Learn to accept things the way they are.

Nothing you say or do is goinf to change things !
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear James,

Thank you for your post above.

I appreciate that you merely misread my post - easily done in the glut of information which is the web!

Let's put it behind us - I am sure we can continue to share notes on life and times in the Tragic Kingdom.

Regards,

Cleopatra
GlobalDawg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Apology? Absolutely Not! Reply with quote

Dear James,

I think you're being a bit too hard on yourself and I don't feel that you owed the queen an apology. The queen made a generalization which was really in bad taste. There is someone out there to whom the queen owes an apology; someone who indeed has had a disturbing experience with a Mutawa while going about their life (in the 'tragic' kingdom) in accordance with Islamic customs and ways.

What I wonder is if the queen called upon big brother John to assist her in putting you in your place. I have read other posts where the queen has suggested that if or when John got wind of what was being expressed--permit me to paraphrase--someone was going to get their bottom spanked.

My sense of it is that if anyone doesn't have something to contribute directly to the initial posting they should keep their speculations and personal opinions to themselves or express it in a pm. With that said, I guess I should have sent this message to you as a pm. Rolling Eyes
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlobalDawg,

You've got mighty little to be worried about, don't you?
GlobalDawg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Send the dawg a bone. Reply with quote

Cleopatra,

As a matter of fact and in response to your query: Not too much. However, if it concerns you so, send me something to chew on; I'll mull it over and get back to you.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Wonder of wonders Reply with quote

Dear GlobalDawg,

"What I wonder is if the queen called upon big brother John to assist her in putting you in your place. I have read other posts where the queen has suggested that if or when John got wind of what was being expressed--permit me to paraphrase--someone was going to get their bottom spanked. "

You don't have to wonder anymore - Cleopatra doesn't need any help from me defending what she posts. By the way, I wasn't the only one who found the tone and content of james' posting unwarranted; dmb seems to have had the same reaction.
You certainly seem to have an animus towards the lady, though - and, it seems, towards me, as well - so, what I wonder is what's caused it? And why, I wonder, do you prefer to ignore james' gracious apology?

"I was wrong. I sincerely apologize for my mad-dog response to your post . . ."

No need, I suppose, to mention the fact that your posting had nothing to "contribute directly to the initial posting", either, since you admit that you probably should have PMed your message ratrher than posting it, a good example of paraleipsis, by the way - and, for that matter, so is this paragraph.

So, if you'd like to PM me and remove the need for me to wonder, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Regards,
John
ohman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-c-c-c-can't we all just get along?

Mutawa (noun) 1. a man who has never heard of Hank Williams or Kitty Wells 2. a person or persons who might easily play a Confederate General in one of Ted Turner's wretched civil war epics or play a Soggy Bottom Boy and not have to don a tragically fake beard 3. a unitarian adherent (see "wahabi") 4. a member of a "cover" band 5. a gentleman of leisure with an ankle fetish and a lot of time on his hands 6. a rare Saudi who actually uses his indicator when changing lanes or making a turn 7. Someone who will probably never waste an afternoon in the BullDog, Amsterdam, Netherlands 8. A man who can honestly say he knows "what it's all about" 9. a most happy feller 10. a most unhappy feller
shadowfax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: the castigation and 'endogging' of james Reply with quote

My profound sympathies go out to another victim of the churlish forum clique of ultra-'democrats'.
Did you not know they are masters of the forumverse? and do an excellent line in bonhomie to the true affiliate. Soon shall ye learn for to make obeisance unto the mighty Cleopatra, lest her servant Bengazi again bring forth his great winnowing fan. Twisted Evil
Lay on, lay on ye puny boys of Coriole. Pluck my beard, flay me with cords and marinate me in brine. I shall not flinch when ye shall scourge me. Perchance then I might gain thy true and noble hearts, a fellow stoic, and, at last, an admirer of the Clintons. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Upon my packsaddle, it makes me want to donate all of my puny salary in perpetuity to the George Bush retirement fund! Idea

Last edited by shadowfax on Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Memo from the Masters of the Forumverse Reply with quote

Dear shadowfax,
Alas, this means, of course, that you, also, will have to be terminated with extreme prejudice. Expect a death squad to come calling soon.
Regards,
John
Director: Wetwork Department
USA Sector
Evil Clique Incorporated
shadowfax

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: slush Reply with quote

Okay, and you can pay for the operation snidily from Kofi Anan and Sons Franco-Germano-Russo-Sino Saddam kickback slush fund.
O sorry, I forgot, we don't mention things like that on this forum!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Me, me - let me do it, Evil Director Reply with quote

Dear shadowfax,
Pay for the operation? Ah, shadowfax, how you underestimate your own popularity. Why, here at ECI (Evil Clique Incorporated) we've got corridors of volunteers lined up. I'm sure going to disappoint a lot of eager guys and gals when I make the final cut.
Regards,
John
P.S. But thanks for "snidely" - first time I can recall ever seeing that adverb; it may come in handy in the future.
P.P.S. Whoops, let me correct myself. I HAVE seen "snidely" before, though not used as an adverb. I'm referrring, of course, to the nefarious "Snidely Whiplash", the arch-villian of the "Dudley-Do-Right" cartoon series, a feature on "The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle".

http://www.flyingmoose.org/moose/whiplash.htm
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: The Shape of Things to Come Reply with quote

Dear shadowfax,
Good man - though you'll need to add on yet another 100 to keep pace (admittedly, so far I haven't made use of a Riverside Chaucer, but I like the idea). Don't neglect those sit-ups, either. A strong center essential to overall fitness. Of couse, even all that is highly unlikely to help when the ECI death squad arrives. Still, looking on the bright side, you'll exit in tip-top shape.
Regards,
John
P.S. Huh? Could have sworn you'd posted, but it seems to have vanished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: