Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AlBundy...the new wilberforce of the Qatar Board?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: AlBundy...the new wilberforce of the Qatar Board? Reply with quote

wilberforce, altho having WAY too much time on his hands to post, at least, didn't constantly repeat the same post with small changes! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

NCTBA
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking exactly the same thing. I thought maybe it was Wilberforce reincarnated Confused
AlBundy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humblest apologies. Embarassed

I've never done this and the only reason I did it now (not an excuse, just stating a fact) is the following:

This is an ESL site. I had questions with regard to other aspects of working at CNA not related to EFL that I wanted to send to some CNA employees, former and current, privately. When I tried to send them PMs though, I realized that I can't send PMs until I've contributed at least 5 forum posts.

So, again, I apologize and I hope this helps Dave reset the configuration to allow private messages without the need to post first.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, mate! I wuz jes' havin' a good ol' fashioned pi$$ atcha! Good luck!

NCTBA
AlBundy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for understanding.

Besides, how could I live up to my name (huge SHOES to fill) if I don't get to at least be a nuisance?

Speaking of which, if I were to go to Qatar, should I take my plunger(s) with me? Are washroom facilities spacious and comfortable?

I tend to spend much of my time there with a selection of fine books, finer wines, laptop and [clean] movies.

Thank you.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sort of answer your question... in all its similar versions... Laughing ...it appears from the history here that the problem is not Qatar, but CNAQ management and not just the EFL department. The consensus here seems to have been that they have tended to prefer to hire their fellow 'newfies' who often had no experience overseas... no less in the Gulf. As to the validity of the rumors posted here in the last year or two... who knows for sure.

I think it's probably an OK gig for a Canadian as long as your expectations are low and you are already eligible to avoid your tax system. Otherwise Canadian taxes will be deducted from your salary.

VS
(PS... there is a very good reason for the 5 post rule. Lots of spammers and other troublemakers join boards like this to raise havoc by PM... one of those little internet foibles. For awhile when the problem first hit, it was like 50 posts before you get to PM. You need 100 posts to have an avatar. Cool)
AlBundy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you veiled for your unveiled response.

I am a Canadian with roots here and hence I cannot avoid taxation as a non-resident. I have a family who I'm planning to keep here in Canada, a house, 2 cars and other assets. I'm from Western Canada with no connection to NL either. I've researched this extensively and I've read the Telegram's articles and comments too. I've come to the conclusion that as a global resident (I call us modern gypsies) with much travel and experience in living in other cultures I shouldn't have a problem. I have to resign to the fact that I cannot change other cultures and norms, nor should I try to (Star Trek Prime Directive).

What remains then, I suppose, is the working culture and atmosphere among and between instructors and whether it's now as "poisonous" and unfair as it was described back in 2007 and 2005. Other than that, I'm easy-going with a sense of humor and I'm sure I can quickly make as many friends as anywhere, both among CNA-Q employees and other expats.

As for an avatar, how could I ever live without one? I guess I'll just have to get on with it and make my 100 posts. Sorry folks, you'll just have to bear with me. Wink

Thanks.

P.S.: I do realize that by extension, we're getting the money that is not paid to the Asian expats. I.e. the money that the state of Qatar "saves" by underpaying the Asian expats is part of the wealth with which it pays for infrastructure and our salaries. It doesn't all come from gas and oil. So in 2009 we're slave owners by extension. Or, the "low-paid" workers subsidize our life style. Welfare state in reverse.
lollaerd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilburforce is happily back in the good ole US of A doing his MA in Applied Linguistics. He wrote me that he's put Qatar behind him and moving forward with his new life (and a new lady at last). I think Wilbur is just too busy to bother anymore. His new lady seems to be 'the one'. So good on him and good on her!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. If you talk to him again, tell him "mabruk!!" from

VS
lollaerd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilber is lucky he left last August. He'd blow a gasket at the latest antics. IMTIAZ has not been paid by QP, hence the 30 or so contract teachers left (half at Villagio and the other 15 or so down at the remants of the Gulag) have not been paid. Good thing he left when he did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: