Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volkshochschule

View previous topic :: View next topic  
puhutes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Volkshochschule Reply with quote

Hey guy!
Just wondering if any of you are working for a local Volkshochschule?
I am interested in any information you can provide. Salary, students, time table, how to get a job there, etc. Anything will be useful. I am thinking of also applying to one near me.
LG Jennifer
Leipzig Red

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Volkshochschule Leipzig Reply with quote

I teach at VHS-Leipzig. With a TESOL Master's and 10 years' teaching experience, I maxed out their pay scale at 14.95 per 45-minute "hour".

The best thing that came out of teaching there is that I met 3 students with whom I formed a German-English tandem group. After 2 years, we still meet weekly.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can people just walk in and ask for a job or do they decide the teachers many months in advance when they go to print? I'm going to be in Germany in Sept/Oct to visit my brother. I am planning to go on to Spain for work but if I could get by in Germany, I'd stay there for a while.
Leipzig Red

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: VHS Reply with quote

Being German, they print the course listings well in advance, so you'd want to get your course proposal in to them some time in June if you want to teach in the fall term. That being said, there are teachers who need to be replaced at the last minute, so if you are lucky, you might get a class or even two even if you don't plan ahead.
StralsundAmi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: vhs Reply with quote

I suggest taking your cv and personally asking to see the director of the school. Personal interactions are much more successful than just sending it in the mail. I took a German course at the VHS and later was asked to teach there. Although I work full time as an English teacher at a local high school I also teach one night a week at the VHS. They pay 18,00�. The pay may depend on your qualifications and experience. I�m the only native speaker at the school.
Sansibar1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough I just applied to the one in Magdeburg today and right away they were interested.
I think it might be because of the same reason that StralsundAmi mentioned. They don't have any other native speakers which made it quite easy for me to gain their attention.

So my advice, just call or show up in person.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Taking Chances Reply with quote

Sansibar1 wrote:
Funny enough I just applied to the one in Magdeburg today and right away they were interested.
I think it might be because of the same reason that StralsundAmi mentioned. They don't have any other native speakers which made it quite easy for me to gain their attention.

So my advice, just call or show up in person.

Unless he is in the country he will need to find somewhere to live - costly! A long way to go just to chance one meeting. Spent a week in Hamburg in 03 beating the pavements to find work. Yeah succeedded after two days but with out accomodation i had to retreat back to Blighty! YUK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: