Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CNA in Qatar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a contradiction of terms, eh? "Civil" "War"!!!

NCTBA
Tensne1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found "civil war" to be an oxymoron as well.

It's as I though I'd read some time ago -- the university hires only Canadians. Too bad... Though I'm discovering that I'm not qualified to teach in the Middle East -- at least any place I'd want to teach -- with my credentials. *sigh*
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the catch... 'the places that I'd want to teach.' But... we're working on that one eh? Laughing

VS
Lonesome Dove

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Qatar Redux Reply with quote

Speak of the devil...

Congratulations to CNAQ on getting itself mentioned in the Canadian press once again:

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=212868&sc=88

Only for Canadians?

Pity...
AlBundy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, back to the original post in this thread back in January: any changes in how CNA-Q is run since the previous posts circa 2005?
Have thngs improved now in 2009? How about other faculties at CNA-Q? Are they all run the same as the EF? department?
Thanks.
Lonesome Dove

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, AB:

There is no breakdown by department, but the college last did an annual employee survey back in May or June. It showed the same problems that have dogged CNA-Q all along: only 24% of employees considered the place well-managed, only 15% thought policies were consistently applied (i.e., presumably, favoritism, cronyism). Only 37% considered morale positive at the college. And the numbers overall seem to be on the decline from the year previous. On the plus side, employees were happy with the compensation package, the library is improving, and 55% would still recommend CNA-Q as a place to work.

There has as yet been no response from the administration to this latest survey.

Meantime, the college has apparently not yet signed an extention of the current contract with Qatar—supposed to happen last February--and there are rumours they will not be renewed.

There is indeed a sense of stall.
tmac-100

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcat9 wrote:
I never asked the question so that I could take what seems to be some kind of "shot" at my Canadian status, but if it makes you feel better....have at it..

We are still the best at hockey.... Cool

Yes, so much for a fellow who disparages Canadians while deciding to leave "his" home and native land. Oh well, it takes all kinds of malcontents to make up this world.

Not only that, but we own the deed to Santa's yard... check where your compass points to Wink Also, for the benefit of everyone and to show how charitable and considerate we are, the Canadian government does not tax his land.....
SecretAgent69

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you interested in working at CNA-Q dont despair. What negative posters are not telling you is that there is a just as strong and a likely more credible rumour that Qatar will be signing another contract with CNA-Q for 15 years more which is five years more than the original 10 year contract.

Nevertheless, there is what does seems to be a situation of limbo at the moment in terms of the contract. However, the initial 10 year contract does not expire for another 2 and a half years, so perhaps the Qataris dont see it as a pressing issue yet, are pressuring to negotiate more favorable terms for themselves, etc etc.

CNA-Q is no worse than any other place I have worked abroad. The problems there are typical. What is not typical is the whiny self-entitled attitude of a lot of the Canadians working there. Many of whom have never worked or lived outside of their own community never mind their own country. A lot of PMS'ers. They bitch and complain, yet continue to extend their contracts again and again.
AlBundy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SecretAgent69 wrote:
CNA-Q is no worse than any other place I have worked abroad. The problems there are typical. What is not typical is the whiny self-entitled attitude of a lot of the Canadians working there. Many of whom have never worked or lived outside of their own community never mind their own country.

That's exactly what my read of the comments is. You'd be amazed how many people I've encountered within even a 2-hour, as well as up to about 5-6-hour drive of Niagara Falls that haven't been there. Actually, one ESL teacher too in Montreal that I can remember. Another person I knew lived within 200 km of Toronto and yet, at the age of 35 hadn't left her small town. Same thing in the West: Calgary folk who haven't been to Banff; Vancouverites who haven't been to Victoria. Mind you, Canada is an incredibly large country and it's understandable if a Newfoundlander hasn't been to the Falls, but a Torontonian!? Imagine the shock on people's faces abroad when they're asked "oh, you're from Canada? I love to see Niagara Falls, how is it? .. hmmm, I don't know, I've never been there!"

Yet, some of these people go to places like China, or Qatar, etc., and can't cope with the all the differences in lifestyle, attitude, food, cultural sensibilities. I'm willing to bet many of these are the people who when abroad, or even in "the big city," don't eat anything other than McDonald's or Pizza Hut.

I don't know any of the posters, so I'm sure my comments don't apply to many, but by the same token, there are many to whom this does apply.

Thank you all, however, for an enlightening discussion.
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some rumors swirling around Doha that the contract won't be signed by the Qataris - and that's just what they are - rumors. The GCC practically eats them up.

Another popular one is that the local alcohol outlet will be shut down - hasn't happened but they are closing the bars at hotels with less than 5* - you either have to have membership or show your Qatari ID card to get into a bar (the # is recorded and presumably sent to CID).

One fact, the last president at CNAQ Dr H - did not get renewed/renew his contract. The VP of Academics got the job in the interim while a search was conducted. No one was found although 3 candidates were brought in to see the campus and meet with people. Don't know if none were found suitable or if they decided that CNA/Doha wasn't for them. The VP continues in the interim until the new search starts (which was recently I understand).

Another rumor is that the VP will be leaving in the New Year - again, a rumor.

But it must be unsettling for those on the ground following what's going on that the top guy left/was pushed last spring and the next in line is rumored to be leaving, the contract has yet to be signed (even though the "negotiating" team did no negotiations) after 6+ months.

Anyone who has lived in the GCC for any appreciable amount of time knows that job security is tenuous at best - but it doesn't look good if the top tier people seem to be leaving?
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard as well that the HR department hasn't improved any since the last "manager" (and most of my contacts there use the term very loosely, as in diareha) left in the spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: