Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is nobody offering me a job in KSA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brighton74

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Why is nobody offering me a job in KSA? Reply with quote

Hi,

so, finally, in spite of the opposition of my friends and family, I gathered the courage to send off CVs and reply to ads in Newspapers and on the web for jobs in KSA.

Apparently, I have all the necessary qualifications for most jobs (not all because I don't have an M.A.)

I'm 29 y. o., single, British, I teach at a good internationally recognised school in Spain, I have two degrees and a Celta qualification... Wouldn't that be enough?

I have been teaching English for *years* and have done all kinds of work in the field.

I have scanned my CV for possible reasons why companies are not calling me... I moved out to Spain a long time ago and studied here. Maybe they require people who have been educated in anglophonic Universities? I know they do in Brunei.

I don't drive. I have always lived in cities (London, Madrid), so I haven't had much need for a car (nor can I afford it, Spanish wages are quite low...) Maybe employers prefer teachers with a driving licence??

While I'm at it, I'd like to ask where you think would be the best place to apply for a job in KSA and where these jobs are advertised... Tefl.com? The Guardian?

Thank you for your feedback and comments.

Last edited by brighton74 on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most reasonable jobs require at least a degree plus a one year full time post grad. diploma or masters preferably.
I wouldn't come to Saudi at the moment as it is not very nice here with all the unrest, you could do better else where.
The falling dollar also makes it much less attractive.
brighton74

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply... Do they actually pay you in dollars? I thought they paid in Saudi Riyals.

Is there any kind of official government requirement about having a degree from an anglophonic Uni?

As for the postgraduate qualification... Americans usually spend one year studying for a Master's but in Europe I'd have to spend two years to get a Master's... Possibly longer if I studied part-time. If I went to KSA I could probably earn enough to pay for a Master's from an American University, or an online programme of some sort.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

when did you apply for those jobs?

Remeber that the concept of time in KSA is different from that in Europe. Nothing seems to happen for months on end and then, suddenly, it's all go. Saudis are very 'here and now' oriented and - frustratingly for foreigners - don't plan for the future at all. therefore, don't rule out the possiblity that you might yet be contacted and asked to be in riyadh in two weeks' time (OK, a slight exaggeration!)

As Mark said, most - though not all - jobs do require a Masters. those that don't tend to be in companies rather than educational establishments but can be OK. As for money, you are paied in Saudi rials, but since these are pegged to the dollar, you are in effect being paid in dollars,which is bad at the moment. Not having a driving licence shouldn't be a prob - I've never heard of jobs requiring it (but then, as i'm a woman, I suppose I wouldn't, would I?)

Where to apply for jobs? Well,anywhere you can see them, I suppose. the Guardian occasionaly has ads for KSA, as does Dave's. Keep your eyes open. The TESOL Arabia conference and jobs fair is in Dubai in just over a month, and there may be Saudi employers recruiting there - check the thread on the UAE forum.

and why would you need 2 years to do a Master's? Most universities offer 1 year MAs.

Good luck in the job hunt!
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driving licence is irrelevant. The fact you have a degree from a Spanish University is not. There may well be problems with validating your degree What is your degree in?

I would think the real problem is the interview. Interviews are normally in London, and they would be very loth to hire somebody with a Spanish degree without an interview.

And of course, I am presuming you are a UK citizen. They would not have any visas for Spanish citizens.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: ksa Reply with quote

Some employers in KSA actually say that they want a first degree from an anglophone university. I suspect this is to keep out those who studied in Pakistan or India, but having a degree from a university n Spain will not help you in looking for a job in KSA.
balrog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: jobs in Saudi Reply with quote

A lot of places look for gulf experience as a prerequisite to getting a job. One of the chain schools for a year might be your best option. They of course offer less but the experience would open other doors
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: ksa Reply with quote

I think there may be reluctance to hire you because of the degre from Spain. Unusual.

As someone else has suggested you might get around this by getting some experience in Saudi, which means working for one of the chain schools.

But be careful. You have to find one who will give you a No Objection Certificate(NOC) or Letter of No Objection (LONO) when you leave. Otherw ise you will not be able legally to return to KSA with another employer.
Pushok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Check you PMs Reply with quote

Brighton

Please check your PMs and let me know what you think

Thanks
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: pay in ksa Reply with quote

As far as I know - with the exception of BAe - everyoone in Saudi gets paid in Saudi Riyals.
However this is the same as being paid in US$'s since the Saudi Riyal is pegged to the US Dollar (well technically pegged to SDR's).

Rate is US$1 = 3.75 SR (or US$4 = 15 SR)

Effectively when the dollar goes down you have a cut in salary, if your base currency is in Pounds or Euros or whatever.

1000 Euros used to cost me 3500 SR
Now it is 4700 SR

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH !
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Aramco British , Irish , Aussies get paid in pounds.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Reply with quote

I had forgotten about Aramco.
As I understand it English Language Instructors are no longer hired direct, but go to work for Hothy or one of the other firms of sub-contractors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: