Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL schools...need your opinion!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindsay33

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: TEFL schools...need your opinion! Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody had information about the Worldwide Prague program and the Language House in Prague. I am considering both of these schools and would like any information anybody has, positive or negative, on either! Thank you very much!
mr tree

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, plenty of reputable TEFL programs to choose from in Prague - others include Oxford TEFL, IH Akzent and Caledonian.
search this forum for more info, perhaps. your initial question is potentially vague Razz
TheForce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am studying on a TEFL course this month in Prague and I will be providing my feedback at the end of it both on my blog and on this site. Will just make sure I don[t use so many y[s and z[s and hope to find where the apostrophe key is on this damn Czech keyboard Smile

The course I am taking is located in Prague 1 - which was one of the deciding factors for me, plus their heavy focus on [varied teaching practice elements[ (apostrophes there folks).
So far I am pleased with what my money has bought and I am confident that I made a good choice.

I am coming towards the end of the 2nd week of my course and already I have a few interviews in the works and one solid job offer.

Feel free to email me if you would like to meet up and join our already expanding Friday night pub evenings:

[email protected]

Cheers!

S.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's very unusual to get a 'solid job offer' in your second week of a training course. To my knowledge, having worked some years ago with two of the training centres in Prague as (among other functions) a liason between the centres and language schools, it's rare for a school to take a chance on someone who hasn't yet got close to completing his/her course.

In fact, many schools have typically expected a newbie to teach a demo lesson before considering them very seriously: what kind of demo would one give successfully less than halfway through a course? Seems the course would be rather irrelevant if this were possible...

Care to give more info about what school would make offers on this basis, and how you would recommend that other trainees can do the same, particularly in light of the economic tightening and less work this year than in the past?
ITTP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that it is very unusual to have a solid job offer in the second week of the course. Students are usually just too damn busy on their course to even get round to serious job hunting until the week after graduating.

In general, if a student is very active in job searching whilst on the course, then it is more common to be receiving job offers in the last week of the course or the first couple of weeks after the course has finished up.

Still though, anything is possible at this time of the year when schools might suddenly find they have enough students to open a course or when new business clients come in and we are aware that the market has picked up considerably in the past month. I know that in week 4 of our October course just past quite a few students had work lined up by the time the course was complete.

I think though that realistically you should be aiming to complete your course and then start interviewing and teaching demo classes. A demo class is an important part of the interviewing process.

Hezky den!/Lovely day!

Neville Smile

ITTP TEFL Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1 - bang in the center of the city!
Katemarie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the TEFL Worldwide course in February 2009 and was very satisfied with every aspect of it. The trainers were extremely knowledgeable and left me feeling more than ready to teach teaching students anywhere in the world. We began teaching native students on the second day of the coure and were given helpful, insightful feedback from that day on. The office staff offered assistance in finding jobs and housing before, during and after the course, and were always willing to help with any issues/questions we had.

I couldn't have been happier with the course and would recommend it to anyone. I am still living in Prague teaching at one of the larger schools.

http://www.teflworldwideprague.com
bje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm Cool
mr tree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bje wrote:
hmmmm Cool

Laughing

well i'm glad you enjoyed it, "katemarie" Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: