Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to BA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Moving to BA Reply with quote

Hi there,

I've been teaching in higher education for the last four years, and my latest job in California has dried up (no students due to so many things). Therefore, I'm looking to find work anywhere in the world. As I've always wanted to live in B.A., Argentina sounds like a good place to go.

Could any of you tell me the likelyhood of getting a decent, 15 to 20 hour position where the pay is sufficent to live on? I'd rather not do private students, but if I have to, I'd take on some.

I'm thinking that I'll simply walk in, and following Dave's advice, stay for a while on a tourist visa.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. I need to make up my mind in the next two weeks, so you might here a lot of questions from me for a while.

All the best,

Patrick
mapleleaf79

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Moving to B.A. Reply with quote

Patrick, have you ever been to B.A? If not, i'll tell you a little about it. Lots of people, extrememly humid, pollution, and a bit of a safety risk. On the other hand, lots of schools, lots of students, lots of places to go and see and the most expensive city in Argentina. i am living in mendoza, about 14 hours away, and compard to B.A it is paradise but opinions do vary. besides that, you'd probably have a pretty good chance of getting something to fit your needs, especially since you have experience teaching. as for private students, a lot of people have a 15 to 20 hour job and take on a couple of private students at the same time. it's more money than you'd make in a school, so it can be a good thing to do. getting private students isn't really that hard either. so i hope that ths helps a little and if you have any more questions just ask. but if you've never been to B.A, i'd do some research and think about it if i were you.
cheers,
Barret
spatrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barrett for your thoughts,

I do have one question about Argentina which I probably won't find an answer to through the library: I'm planning on having my cat come with me after I get settled with a job. Will it be possible to find and apartment which allows an indoor cat? This cat has never, nor will ever, leave the apartment.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Also, I have never been to Argentina before. Yet, I lived in Quito almost a decade ago, so I'm coming in prepared for the pollution, dirt, and all of the fun stuff associated with big cities. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I want to go (I'm living in California now, which is much too clean for my tastes Laughing )

Thanks,

Patrick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: