Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

visa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: visa Reply with quote

Do EU citzens still need a visa for Ukraine ?
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, but what do you mean? Do you mean a stamp on arrival or some other thingy? Some more info in your question would be appreciated.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. You just come into the airport and get your 90 day stamp. Good for those just looking around and trying to decide whether they will stay. Gives you time to conduct your job-search, arrange an apartment, etc. If or when you land an acceptable job, you go out to your consulate or embassy of choice to get a long-term visa (1 to 5 years).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visa can take two forms
Visa on arrival - when it is really a form of taxation

Or by prior application at an Embassy or Consulate

From your abrupt manner I assume you had a bad day

I am puzzled as to why your answer is "Of course". There are lots of places where EU citizens do NOT need a visa of any kind.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A visa can take two forms
Visa on arrival - when it is really a form of taxation

Or by prior application at an Embassy or Consulate

From your abrupt manner I assume you had a bad day

I am puzzled as to why your answer is "Of course". There are lots of places where EU citizens do NOT need a visa of any kind.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to seem abrupt but a quick blast through the internet should give you this info. A stamp on your passport is a visa.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
No. You just come into the airport and get your 90 day stamp. Good for those just looking around and trying to decide whether they will stay. Gives you time to conduct your job-search, arrange an apartment, etc. If or when you land an acceptable job, you go out to your consulate or embassy of choice to get a long-term visa (1 to 5 years).

I would recommend finding a job before arriving if at all possible. That way all the tricky paperwork and flat finding stuff can be done for you.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly in a perfect world that would be the way to do it if you can. However, you can enter without one and stay up to 90 days while making up your mind. This allows you to see the what you are getting into and decide about your living situation. There are a LOT of TEFL teachers who turn out to be disappointed with the actual conditions of their school, apartment (if they arrange one for you) and schedule. Plus you can actually talk with some others in your situation and make your decision as to whether you stay or go.

To each their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My online dictionary tells me that a visa is

"An official authorization appended to a passport, permitting entry into and travel within a particular country or region."

and not simply a stamp in the passport. Even where a visa is not required you may get an entry stamp in your passport.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
My online dictionary tells me that a visa is

"An official authorization appended to a passport, permitting entry into and travel within a particular country or region."

and not simply a stamp in the passport. Even where a visa is not required you may get an entry stamp in your passport.

It's a little odd that you should be happy to check out the definition of "visa" online to score points in this thread but not look up a web site that lists the relevant visa information for Ukraine.

Are you genuinely interested in coming here? If so, I'm sure we could use this forum in a more productive way. I'd be happy to answer any questions about living and working here.

Last edited by Cardinal Synn on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Certainly in a perfect world that would be the way to do it if you can. However, you can enter without one and stay up to 90 days while making up your mind. This allows you to see the what you are getting into and decide about your living situation. There are a LOT of TEFL teachers who turn out to be disappointed with the actual conditions of their school, apartment (if they arrange one for you) and schedule. Plus you can actually talk with some others in your situation and make your decision as to whether you stay or go.

To each their own.

Why in a perfect world? It's hardly idealism.
It's very important to research the school before you come, if doing it the way I mentioned. However, coming over with a job already arranged doesn't mean you can't leave if it's not up to standard, leaving you in pretty much the same situation as you'd be in if you came on spec.

It depends on how choosy you can afford to be too. If you come over with limited funds, you'll have to make some kind of choice fairly soon (besides, if you come here to work, you don't want to be sitting around spending cash with no income for too long). This means you could end up with something less than satisfactory - or a trip home.

My advice would be to research the country, city, schools, find who's hiring, get the best offer you can, jump on plane, move into apartment, start teaching and enjoy.

Personally, I've been very happy with the way my school has looked after me - apartment, salary,support etc. It's very unlikely that they'd have hired me if I'd just showed up in Kiev.
beachguy69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: New Visa Facts Reply with quote

Please check your visa carefully upon receipt and pay careful attention to validity dates. Each traveler is responsible for understanding the type of visa issued and the provisions of the visa. Frequently, American citizens are refused re-entry to Ukraine because they thought they possessed a multiple entry visa, but in fact their visa was valid for only a single entry. In some cases, Americans attempt to enter Ukraine before their visa becomes valid. This is a common mistake, since in Ukraine the date is written day-month-year, not month-day-year. Thus, a visa issued on 01/05/09 is valid from May 1, 2009 and NOT from January 5, 2009. Such travelers can be detained at the port of entry, refused admission, and sent back to the country from which they traveled. The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv is unable to assist travelers in these situations.

American citizens traveling to or staying in Ukraine are reminded of the recent changes to Ukrainian immigration law. While differences in interpretation have not yet been fully clarified, it currently appears that the terms �registration� and �allowed period of stay� should be treated as synonyms.

For American citizens visiting Ukraine, whether on a visa or visa-free, registration is completed at the border by border control officers for a maximum period of 90 cumulative days during a consecutive 180 day period. The calculation of the 90 day period begins from the date of first entry into Ukraine. Registration can be extended in certain situations by Ukrainian immigration authorities and will be valid only for continuous stay in the country, but not for re-entry to Ukraine. Otherwise, visitors must leave the country before the 90 day period ends and they will not be allowed re-entry until the consecutive period of 180 days from the date of first entry expires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: