Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most realistic, long term Island home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Most realistic, long term Island home Reply with quote

Hello. I am new to this forum. I hope to teach ESL abroad soon, and want to live near the clear, blue ocean. I have always wanted to live in the Caribbean. I have been looking through the posts, and it seems there is not a lot of opportunities to live there teaching. Am I wrong? Is there somewhere in the Caribbean that is realistic to settle down long-term and teach? If there were, I assume everyone would be flocking there to do it. Still, I can hope. I am a certified secondary teacher in Arizona, with endorsements in History and ESL. I know some of you are going to suggest international schools, and I will try. But I understand these are extremely competitive. I am almost done with my M.Ed. With these qualifications, what do you think my prospects are? Like I said, I am a noob, so be gentle. Thx.
MrWright

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? No advise on what island it is feasible to work and live long term? Please help! There must be someone on here who can answer this. I know that there can't be many options, given the difficulty of so many islands already speaking english and the immigration issues, but there must be something doable.
eclectic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well puerto rico would be a decent place just using common sense as its a US territory, as would be the US virgin islands or British v.i.

I'd say DR is out due to extreme poverty, low pay would be the norm.

Places like Jamaica wouldnt pay much. As for the isles like St Vincent or Barbados, I dont know. Their english isnt really english, they might need some education in that.

Spanish or French speaking isles would be the best bet, in terms of the # of people not speaking english, i.e. the # of English teachers needed would seem to be higher.

Sorry cant answer better than this, but saw nobody answered you in a while so I wanted to acknowledge your question.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, most of the Caribbean speaks English already..and everything is based on tourism. So there are very few business students or whatever else trying to get ahead further in their careers/corporations in the Caribbean, nor would they have the salaries to afford to do so.

That being said...POSSIBLY Puerto Rico since it's American, although I haven't seen it advertise anywhere.

I've also heard the Dominican Republican MIGHT have some ESL...but I've read somewhere the pay is abysmal and nowhere near the cost of living - and the DR is one of the lowest priced islands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: