Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a CV?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little horsey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the internet is a basic reference point these days - especially for simple information, such as the definition of a CV.

I must admit that I didn't completely know what it was until these past few months. I'm Canadian too, eh. It's not too common in these parts.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're online you can always use www.dictionary.com

It's a lot quicker than asking on Dave's, though most of their sources seem to have pulled out.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: H'mmmm Okay,Thanks,Roger Reply with quote

Now I know curriculum vitae is the singular form.Thanks,Rog.Maybe it is easier just to call the thing a CV. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: on-line? Reply with quote

It may be a sign of my age, but it wouldn't occur to me to search the internet to find out what CV meant. I am of an age that uses a dictionary almost daily (although less so now that we have spellcheck) It always sits in reach.

After Scot badmouthed my poor Websters Smile I did find a section of abbreviations. It has CV and says: cardiovascular, chief value, curriculum vitae. It was so long ago that I first heard the term CV, I don't know if that would have even helped me or not. Fortunately, at the time, I had people around that answered the question for me. We didn't have these wonderful boards to come and ask questions.

PS Scot... I have been back in the US for just over a year - and it still feels strange not to have the weekend be Thursday/Friday. Not missing those piles of essays though.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piles of essays!? You mean your students could write?

Didn't they provide you with a balance for weighing them?
richard ame

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: cv's ???? Reply with quote

Somebody suggested a real English word that could be used instead of resume and the almost unknown (if we are to believe that most Americans are ignorant of the word) C.V. so here goes ,how about work experience programme,or occupational history,or employment record or even education employment record E.E.R. for short or W.E.P or O.H. what do you think is this a banal topic or what???

Regards fellow CV ers
Richard A
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: CV or resume' ?? Reply with quote

Hello Forum:

When in doubt, ask the etymology dictionary. As you can see by the explanations below, both words came into use at about the same time and mean about the same thing. Just for fun, I have added the German terminology as well.

curriculum - 1824, modern coinage from classical Latin. curriculum "a running, course, career," from currere "to run." Used as a Latin word since 1633 at Scottish universities. Curriculum vit�, literally "course of one's life" is from 1902.

resume' - 1804, "a summary," from French. Middle French; resumer "to sum up." Meaning "biographical sumary of a person's career" is from the 1940s.

Lebenslauf - German: meaning "life's run" or course; Leben = life; laufen = to run (more similar in meaning to the Latin CV)

In the USA, the term resume' is widely used, although the Europeans most definitely use and prefer the term CV. Anyway ... I think we can all agree that the important thing isn't what they're called; it's what's inside that counts! Very Happy

Regards,
keNt

PS: In my book, there are no stupid questions. As for answers, well ... that's a different matter entirely.

Etymologies courtesy of: www.geocities.com/etymonline/index.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: rambling threads Reply with quote

Kent - I used to always tell my students there were no stupid questions too, but let me try --- Why is there a capital N in the middle of your name? keNt? Smile

Richard - I wondered earlier why we native speakers hadn't come up with an English name for this rather than using a foreign term. But come to think of it, I think I know the reason - Resume or Curriculum Vitae sounds so much more 'important' than Education Employment Record - even though that is exactly what it is.

Stephen - One of the reasons that I had 'piles of essays' was because of the number of drafts required to get to something resembling as essay. A real challenge - even with native speakers I fear. But, I digress Confused
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: it's a trademark ? Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments:

A very good question! It's my trademark; sort of like Fidel Castro's beard. So ... if you ever see "Kent" spelled normally like this, you'll know that the author was an imposter who stole my Dave's password ... and not the rEaL kENt. Twisted Evil
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Scot, there are many people who refer to their country, and other countries, us and them. I think this is common among all nationalities. In China, they make it simple. We are all "laowai". So stop using it as an excuse to rip Americans.
Never used a CV in my life. I think for pursuing jobs overseas a resume is much better. Resumes are shorter, to the point. The person in charge of hiring and look quickly and see if you are what they are looking for. This is especially important when job hunting in China. at least. Most of the FAO's have only 2 MB, maybe 4 MB mailboxes. (Foerign Affairs Officers...people in charge of at least intially looking at your e-mail). They might get 50 applicants at one time. Pictures, and the information often contained in a CV, such as copy of certificates/diplomas, will soon make their mailbox too full. Don't send pictures unless it is a 30k pic. The usual "Additional information available upon request " is quite sufficient...in my opinion
Chris in Henan...no SARS, plenty of other good diseases which have killed many more people!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: