Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand - When do semesters start / end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichiganFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Thailand - When do semesters start / end Reply with quote

So, right now I'm Korea, working in a rural Hakwon, and my contract is up in May. I don't intend to renew (I have until the end of February to say anything about that).

What are the odds of getting a PS job in May or June?

I've got a BA English and a teaching certificate from Michigan, a goofy lil online TEFL cert, and enough bank where I don't need any bridge loans from shylocks to start up.

Any thoughts on where to apply? Anyone know of a recruiter?
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thai public school system usually starts in May and second term usually starts around Oct/Nov. March and April are good months to look for work, but there will always be some leftovers in May and even June.

Language schools are always hiring based on enrollment of course. usually more work in the public system off months (Oct/April).

Boston Bright, BFITS, MediaKids, AYC, ELP, Essential Learning, JP all recruit for public/private schools as far as I know.

check ajarn.com for Thailand job listings.

With a teaching certficate and B.A Eng, you could probably find something in a mid range Int school or private/bilingual school. Some advertise on ajarn, but you can google quite easily to find the school sites and contact them directly. Many of these recruit more in advance. Some start in Sept (recruiting will begin shortly for some of these. Some start the same times a sthe Thai public schools and will probably start recruiting soon (in 1-2 months) for April/May positions.

Note that many THai public schools have very large classes sizes, poor resources and support and low pay. Private/bilingual or low-mid range International schools are all within your reach with your resume. Many of these tend to hire in country though.

Good luck
sr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government universities usually advertise around the end of July for the start of their contract which is at the end of September, but sometimes they will start before that.

The TEFL on line is kind of iffy, as they like to see the face to face one, but who knows this is Thailand. One of the best sites is ajarn.com as was mentioned by MaiPenRai.
MichiganFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the responses, and sorry for the delay, I was... indisposed.

It sounds like I might be jumping the gun just a little. There's this really cool opportunity for a place in Bangkok, but they only want one English teacher.

My buddy in China teaches three days a week and no more than 20 hours, I like the idea of that kind of job. Perhaps an English language academy would be in my future, being's that I'm a lazy bum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: