Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is anyone working for 3500
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zootown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Is anyone working for 3500 Reply with quote

There is a university that is looking for teachers.

They want to pay 3500rmb a month for full time work.

Is anyone working in China for that amount of money?
tommchone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in China? What's the perks? How many hours do they consider full-time?
zootown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perks? apartment supplied.

15 hours a week.
tommchone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in China? THAT'S the important question, the cost of living varies greatly depending on where you are. Beijing for 3500? No, you'd starve. Zhengzhou? You'd survive.
The Ever-changing Cleric

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3500 per month for 15 hours per week is too low ANYWHERE in china. i haven't heard of anyone working for that little for a few years now, nor have i seen any job ads offering such a low salary.

its not hard to find jobs paying more, just search the sites that are often bandied about on this discussion forum.
zootown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xinjiang
Hansen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3500RMB is suitable for people who are content with 3500. I recently met an FT who is making about that, far from Beijing. The school where she works provides everything, possibly even free food in a western style canteen. She was content.

My guess is that even in Beijing, with room and utilities provided, one could get along on 3500. Lifestyle is the operative word here. Clubbing, you could probably lose your salary in a couple of nights. Live a quiet life, avoid costly entertainment and restaurants, you can manage almost anywhere.

Food is cheap, even in Beijing, if you cook it yourself. Napa cabbage, dofu, rice, potatos, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, and so forth, probably don't cost much more in Beijing than in Zhengzhou. Even at double the price, 3500 is plenty.

3500 would limit your travel options, however. Although reasonable, plane tickets and hotels during the winter and summer months do add up.

Oh yeah, on 3500, plan to be celibate.

Last edited by Hansen on Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
jiangsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ever-changing Cleric wrote:
3500 per month for 15 hours per week is too low ANYWHERE in china. i haven't heard of anyone working for that little for a few years now, nor have i seen any job ads offering such a low salary.

its not hard to find jobs paying more, just search the sites that are often bandied about on this discussion forum.

There is a job on Network ESL right now for UNDER 3000RMB/month. It is in Xiangtan. Why the f*ck would anyone take that? I can understand people MAYBE taking a job that low paid if it were in Hainan or something, somewhere beautiful where you could spend all your life on the beach, but in the middle of assf*ck, Hunan?

Somebody must be taking these peanuts jobs but why? There are loads of jobs that pay 5000RMB, so taking the jobs that pay lower than that is just f*cking us all.

Last edited by jiangsu on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jiangsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I know the Chairman was born in Xiangtan, it doesn't mean I'd take a 3000RMB job to get there even if I was a staunch communist.
theincredibleegg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy who's going to work at a famous university in Beijing for under 5k.

Crazy...
nickpellatt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a college in Hainan for 3300 a month between 03/07 - 06/08. I was one of 9 teachers who worked for the same ... and this included two families with children. My housemate and I never needed to tutor for extra money, but the family next door did. I think it must really depend on costs in your local area, and your lifestyle choices. I lived very well on that money, and was often able to travel around Hainan, to eat out with my girlfriend every day, and to go to nightclubs and have genuine massages etc whenever I wanted them.

I think if you want lots of Western comforts, it would be difficult. I didnt have to worry as there were no Western bars/restaurants/supermarkets within 60 kms.

I dont know how costs vary from place to place, but a meal for two in a Chinese restaurant with one meat dish, one veg dish, rice and tea was around 30 rmb. Lunch and breakfast would cost a combined figure of no more than 20 rmb , and a 60 min massage at a local spa was 25 rmb. Nightclubs were 10 beers for a price between 100 - 150 rmb, 600ml beers were 8 at the nightfood places, or 2.5 rmb in my local store.

With a disposable income of 110 rmb per day (I didnt save or have other costs) I pretty much ate every meal outside and never cooked, and was easily able to hit the clubs every weekend with my housemate. A beer at home, one at a nightfood place then 50 rmb each for 5 beers in a club. A night out worked out at well within my daily budget.

Obviously, pretty hard to look at long term plans like saving etc ... but short term (depending upon location) I would imagine its very easy to live fairly well on a low salary. Eating in Pizza Hut and drinking imported Western drinks in ex-pat bars really isnt my scene though. For those who do enjoy or desire such things, life on low salaries would probably be quite difficult I guess
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zootown wrote:
Xinjiang

The lowest salary, in the worst place.

Unless you have a Grade 7 education, do not need the internet nor make international phone calls, want to be very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, in the middle of a dry desert, with little to know comforts in life....I'd say go for it.
happigur1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommchone wrote:
Where in China? THAT'S the important question, the cost of living varies greatly depending on where you are. Beijing for 3500? No, you'd starve. Zhengzhou? You'd survive.

The first month in Zhengzhou, I was eating 2.5 RMB noodles for lunch and dinner Very Happy
zootown

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
zootown wrote:
Xinjiang

The lowest salary, in the worst place.

Unless you have a Grade 7 education, do not need the internet nor make international phone calls, want to be very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, in the middle of a dry desert, with little to know comforts in life....I'd say go for it.

Xinjiang is not all desert there are some spectacular mountain ranges there.Up there with Rocky mountain range and European alps.

Your right about the other stuff though.

Strangely it would be one of the strongest economically performing autonomous regions/ provinces in China.

There are alot of very wealthy people there.

[img]http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt98/bigdamo888/tianshan27-5-09017.jpg[/img]
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiangsu wrote:
Somebody must be taking these peanuts jobs but why? There are loads of jobs that pay 5000RMB, so taking the jobs that pay lower than that is just f*cking us all.

Since we are competing for jobs, some will take a lower paying position as they clearly need the money and are willing to work at that rate.

Honestly, I (politely and within the TOS here...) do not understand this concept that pops often up here on Dave's and in ESL forums elsewhere - this notion that because someone else works for less than you then you are aggrieved.

People compete for jobs, this is how the world works.

Surely you have heard of the -40% cut in many USA salaries due to the Depression/Recession?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: