Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average cost of private lessons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethany27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Average cost of private lessons Reply with quote

I'm hoping to figure out about how much privates lessons teachers charge now for an hour, specifically english, spanish or french teachers.

Thanks!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear bethany27,

I think it would depend somewhat on where you are.

For example, I usually charge either $20 or $25 an hour here in Santa Fe (depending on how well-off my students are), but I'm also tutoring a private on-line by Skype in Slovenia, and I'm charging him 30 Euros an hour (he's the one who suggested the fee; he's REALLY well-off.)
Regards,
John
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw an idiot on 32nd Street (Manhattan, near the Empire State Building) handing out fliers advertising $15 an hour tutoring.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that does seem kind of high pay for an idiot.... Cool
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NYCESOL11211 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was joking. Sorry it wasn't obvious... Shocked
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I charged $15/hr in Vancouver when I was still an undergrad. It was a crap wage, and I was a crap teacher Shocked I'm still not great (I am still in my first year of teaching), but I would charge $25-30/hr now if I was still working in the field (I'm on mat leave)

As for French, I heard tales that my university instructor charges $40-50/hr for private instruction (PhD and about 10+ years experience). I don't know for sure, I can't afford it!
hollysuel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in rural Idaho now and I charge $20 if the students come to my house and $30 if I have to go to them.

I also teach live online (virtual classroom, webcam, headset, mic, etc.) and charge anywhere between $20 to $60 depending on the person and where he/she is located in the world.
MrScaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference between tutoring and e-lessons. If an individual needs lessons that are tailored to his/her particular needs, and if this type of lesson requires sophisticated and/or highly technical materials preparation, I charge $70/hour and above. In many instances, these lessons are tax-deductible for the professionals in question, or are paid for by the company.
MrS
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear MrScaramanga,

"There is a big difference between tutoring and e-lessons. If an individual needs lessons that are tailored to his/her particular needs, and if this type of lesson requires sophisticated and/or highly technical materials preparation, I charge $70/hour and above."

You've lost me here - I tutor by Skype (individuals in Slovenia) and those e-lessons (or maybe I simply don't understand that term) require tailored, sophisticated, highly technical prep.

I guess what I'm asking is - what's the difference between tutoring and e-lessons? Do you define tutoring as "face-to-face" (not virtually) only?

Regards,
John
MrScaramanga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I understand by tutoring is extra help with school English (e.g. bring grades up, pass an exam) where you can pretty much use the textbook or readily available materials.

The private (e- or not) lessons I teach prepare highly qualified and specialized individuals in very specific professional contexts. For this, I prepare individualized materials and need to perform some degree of research in that person's field before I can help him/her. I am not usually able to re-use these materials with other clients.

I hope this is clearer, John.
MrS
El Macho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone who does online tutoring mind posting a bit more about it or PM'ing me? I am an experienced teacher and am currently reading for an MA in ELT at a well-known British university. I'd love to do some teaching work on the side to both keep myself fresh and to earn a bit of pocket money.
madhatter109

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Macho wrote:
Would anyone who does online tutoring mind posting a bit more about it or PM'ing me? I am an experienced teacher and am currently reading for an MA in ELT at a well-known British university. I'd love to do some teaching work on the side to both keep myself fresh and to earn a bit of pocket money.

I second this! Any info?
TeresaLopez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several posts in the last few weeks from different companies looking for online tutors, right here on Dave's.
gcruz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe 40/hr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: