Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

application question - letter of verification? (ME app)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: application question - letter of verification? (ME app) Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a job application (for a job in Oman, if that helps) and have a newbie question. Here's what it says in the job posting:

"all candidates have to submit a letter verifying their chief qualification"

Can someone please clarify what this is? I'm assuming that the qualification the posting refers to is my degree. Is this correct? If so, can I just scan and send them a copy of my degree? Or do I need to get and send a letter from the school(s) I attended? If so, do I need to do this for all of my degrees and certificates (BA, MA, CELTA) or just the highest?

Or am I way off and they're requesting something else?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems logical to me. Ask the employer. Perhaps they also want a letter from your college registrar, considering how easy it is to fake a degree parchment these days.
denise

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Oman and, while I'm not terribly up-to-date on the job ads that get posted, I've never heard of anything phrased that way. I've also never heard of registrars sending letters. What they can do (for a fee) is send transcripts directly to schools that you're applying to and/or send sealed originals--as long as the seal remains un-tampered with, it will be clear that it has not been faked.

For my current job, I had to have my MA attested--but that was AFTER I had been offered the job, during the standard probationary period. And I did it here in Oman. I think I also supplied them with transcripts. Sorry I can't remember more clearly, but when you're busy applying to jobs all of the ads and all of the documents just kinda blur into one...

d
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe scan and send your transcripts?� And probably of your highest degree, your MA.
TES

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies! I had hoped maybe someone here had run across the same phrasing - I think I better do as Glenski suggested and contact the employer to make sure I'm sending the right thing.

As with Denise's experience, all of the apps I'm working on are starting to run together for me now =) I'll post what I find out in case anyone else runs across something similar.

Thanks again!
TES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: They told me copies of my diplomas/certificate could meet the "letter" requirement for the application. So, if anyone else runs across this, there you go!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: