Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in the West Bank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: teaching in the West Bank Reply with quote

This is not about Israel but since it's next door, I figured I'd give it a try.

I'd like to teach English in the West Bank. Not looking to get paid so this is sort of a volunteer thing. I've tried looking for NGOs or other sources of info on the internet but nothing has panned out so far.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a school in the West Bank that could use an English teacher for up to 3 months? I've got all the qualifications and experience to work anywhere in the world so that's not a problem.

Thanks.

Rolf
sandsean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi rolf.
i'm also thinking about doing some volunteer teaching in the west bank later this year. the most approachable looking program i've found is called project hope out of nablus: http://www.projecthope.ps/projecthope/

best of luck!
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in contact with them and even had an interview. Unfortunately, they turned me down. I'm not good at working with kids so that may have had something to do with it. It sounded like a really great program and I wish you better luck than I had.

Rolf
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf,

This is also in Nablus, but appears to be a different organization.

http://teachforpalestine.com/aboutus.php (website)

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=21719 (ad)
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And be warned that they do not reply to e-mails !
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
And be warned that they do not reply to e-mails !

Is this based on personal experience? Laughing

NCTBA
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not reply to MY e-mails.
KingBen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, check out a school in Nablus called Young Pioneers, they are trying to become an accreditted international School and have been up and running for several years. I see that someone already mentioned Teach For Palestine, which I have heard of. Were you so inclined, you could just show up in a West Bank city and put your offer of volunteer teaching to various community centers, etc. They will be thrilled and snatch you up. That's what i did. No doubt, perhaps a rather daunting idea, but it worked out for me. Also, contact organizers at the D'Heisha Refugee Camp near Bethlehem, they have a steady flow of foreign activist types doing various projects and solidarity visits. Unfortuntaly ther's just not a lot of infrastructure in place for contacting local community groups etc, or securing volunteer positions, but once you're there I believe they will be thrilled to have you.
KingBen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, check out a school in Nablus called Young Pioneers, they are trying to become an accreditted international School and have been up and running for several years. I see that someone already mentioned Teach For Palestine, which I have heard of. Were you so inclined, you could just show up in a West Bank city and put your offer of volunteer teaching to various community centers, etc. They will be thrilled and snatch you up. That's what i did. No doubt, perhaps a rather daunting idea, but it worked out for me. Also, contact organizers at the D'Heisha Refugee Camp near Bethlehem, they have a steady flow of foreign activist types doing various projects and solidarity visits. Unfortuntaly ther's just not a lot of infrastructure in place for contacting local community groups etc, or securing volunteer positions, but once you're there I believe they will be thrilled to have you.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingBen wrote:

KingBen, how did you find the visa situation? A friend of mine was looking into long-term volunteering in the West Bank (Nablus, I think), but seemed to think the visa situation involved border runs every few months with no guarantee of being allowed back in. This wouldn't present a problem for short-term volunteers, of course; but do you happen to know how things currently stand?

Anaustez

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:

KingBen, how did you find the visa situation? A friend of mine was looking into long-term volunteering in the West Bank (Nablus, I think), but seemed to think the visa situation involved border runs every few months with no guarantee of being allowed back in. This wouldn't present a problem for short-term volunteers, of course; but do you happen to know how things currently stand?

The visa situation is trick as technically NO ONE has a work visa for the West Bank. Most people operate on the 3 month tourist visa with border runs or, if you get lucky, your organisation might be able to get you a year long Israeli "volunteer" visa which still prohibits you from working so you have to come to an agreement with your employer about how you get paid.

All in all ESL options are fairly limited in the West Bank with few opportunities and even fewer decent, professionally appealing ones. Most places are pretty unfamiliar with what's required to run effective lessons and don't expect much from their teachers (who are largely made up of untrained activist-y types with little interest in teaching and more desire to be a conflict tourist). That said, there are good options, some of which have been discussed in this thread, that do very good work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Israel All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: