Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When you're smiling. .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: When you're smiling. . Reply with quote

Yes, it is so true what some people say here on Dave's- when you are happy, you don't spend much time posting.

I love my new job in Oman.

Oman is a fabulous and beautiful country. I drive into Muscat every week, and I still can't get over the natural grace of the place- mountains that seem hand-painted and big sky and green oases as far as you can see. In Muscat there is a lot to do, and the whole city is clean and well designed (except for a few too many traffic roundabouts and bad drivers). Great shops and mediocre cinemas are everywhere, as well as nice restaurants and watering holes.

Most importantly, my job is great. I am treated well and respectfully, and my students actually work (not up to some standards, but they work circles around Saudi students). And I have no princesses in class, real or otherwise. No Gucci bags and Channel sunglasses that are glued to the face- just real young women with opinions and attitude about things- including the boys in the same classroom.

So, even if you stay in Saudi Arabia, my advice is to find a job that you enjoy. It is no trite exaggeration to say it has changed my life. Two years of being treated badly and having unexpected bad surprises around every corner does real damage to you.

No amount of money could take me back to my job and life in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by desultude on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
trapezius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

SR. 50,000/month? SR. 100,000/month? Very Happy

Beautiful post. It has inspired me to look for work in Oman and leave this place after 26 years!

Which university are you teaching in? Please PM if you wish to keep it private. Also, any other universities that you have heard of that are just as good as yours?

Thanks. Enjoy your job and your life Cool
perfectweapon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desultude how long have you been on Oman? It seems that you are very content and happy in your work and that is fantastic.
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perfectweapon wrote:
Desultude how long have you been on Oman? It seems that you are very content and happy in your work and that is fantastic.

I've been here three months now. I know some women who have been here for years, and one who plans to live here forever.

There do seem to be some bad jobs here, and my job isn't perfect- but it is the best job I have had in many years. Of course, things can always change, so I say that with my fingers crossed!

I've a nice house in front of a small wadi and some grand mountains, and a car to travel around the country. You really must have a car here- not only to get around in general, but to get out and see the mountains and seas and villages.

I make slightly less money than in Saudia, and have slightly less time off. But my everyday life is easy and pleasant, so I don't mind at all. Yes, The people at PMU could offer me any sum, and I wouldn't be tempted! W'allah!

The nicest thing about it is that I had almost forgotten that I am a happy person. I was starting to see myself as a bitchy grump. I am not, but my job at PMU was turning me into one!

There are good jobs in ESL, and nice people in the Gulf. Have courage and make a change if your job is making you miserable. In Saudi Arabia, I'll bet the problem is the job, not you!
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and can anyone tell me how to edit the subject line on the thread? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabruk ya Desu!!

I knew that you would be happy there. It is not *the* perfect job in all ways, but all is relative. Laughing

VS
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Mabruk ya Desu!!

I knew that you would be happy there. It is not *the* perfect job in all ways, but all is relative. Laughing

VS

Thanks! It is a great place. I go out and hike in the desert and wadi most mornings. This afternoon, after a hard rain, I went for a walk and met my 14 year old neighbor girl. I love that the girls are all outside playing and hanging out in the neighborhood and in the desert. The wear bright colors, and seem so free relative to Saudia!
lazycomputerkids

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Whne you're smiling. . Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
There's a forum for that, Camel.
desultude wrote:
And I have no princesses in class, real or otherwise.
Perhaps they're better off as well.
desultude wrote:
Incentivization and teaching make strange bedfellows.

Now, before I'm stoned to death...I like Camel. I've just had my fill of Saudi bashing for the day. This post read like tourist propaganda. Good tourist propaganda, I'll add.

I've always worked where other teachers complain about. Always.
And find those complaints usually based in a validity.
And I could give a damn.
It was kind of cute the first five years.
Approaching twenty...I'm filled with a sort of guff...
Mel Brooks said it best:
Tragedy is when I cut my finger.
Comedy is walking out onto an open sewer to die.

But, congratulations, Camel.
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Whne you're smiling. . Reply with quote

lazycomputerkids wrote:

Now, before I'm stoned to death...I like Camel. I've just had my fill of Saudi bashing for the day. This post read like tourist propaganda. Good tourist propaganda, I'll add.

Gee, maybe I missed my calling!

I am tickled you like me! I've a real soft spot for curmudgeons, myself! (Seriously, I'll take an honest grump over a superficial, mindless optimist any day!)

But I disliked Saudi Arabia and my teaching job there more than any place or any job I have ever had. That is saying something, as I have worked a lot of pretty bad jobs in god awful places- such as the North Slope of Alaska at -80 F. I know men who are able to find the Kingdom interesting and enjoyable, but very few women. The few women who make their peace with the place have decent jobs with decent people. I know that is possible.

Finally, I posted this in the Saudi board because I have posted a lot of negative posts here, primarily about PMU, and I wanted to make it clear that there are options, even within the Kingdom, and people owe it to themselves to take care of their lives. Saying this on the Oman board is singing to the choir!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
Oh, and can anyone tell me how to edit the subject line on the thread? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Go to edit button on your original post and you should be able to fix the "subject line" which is what becomes the title.

I would have told you in my other post, but I see we were "synchronized posting."

VS
desultude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
desultude wrote:

Go to edit button on your original post and you should be able to fix the "subject line" which is what becomes the title.

I would have told you in my other post, but I see we were "synchronized posting."

VS

I love easy fixes! Cool
lazycomputerkids

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
as I have worked a lot of pretty bad jobs in god awful places- such as the North Slope of Alaska at -80 F. I know men who are able to find the Kingdom interesting and enjoyable, but very few women.

I've always sought classes in crisis. Along the way, I've worked in schools privileged with resource and cannot deny the joy of working in an environment where motivation can be taken for granted. Of all the cities I've been drawn to, I like to say I've loved everywhere I've ever lived and I'm not about to make an exception for this dump.
I've spent as much time as politeness allows asking women teachers to revisit the frustration of what I term as an infantalism of their students of every age. I remind myself no "advanced" culture has not developed without passing through similar stages. Inequity is its own chain, disparity its own gravity. I'm trying to say a limited consciousness celebrates advantage.

My move here was partially predicated on a perspective given to me nearly twenty years ago. I met an army brat and asked her about veils. We were barely in our twenties. She juxtaposed these descriptions: When I go to a party, the veils come off and the women have as much fun as any party I've ever been to. When I go to parties in the U.S., there is a great deal of make-up and competition for attention. When I walk about with a veil, I do not fear being attacked at night. I cannot say this of the U.S.

As we were so young, feminist perspectives such as "infantalism" were not of our sensibility. I would not proffer a relativist perspective as an adequate address of what are evolving conditions to be found in Saudi Arabia. I believe it is a razor's edge to both respect and empower any student. I am more inclined toward description than prescription.

An Omar forum is one kind of choir. The Saudi Arabia forum is often another.
tacomaboywa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: When you're smiling. . Reply with quote

desultude wrote:
Yes, it is so true what some people say here on Dave's- when you are happy, you don't spend much time posting.

Oman is a fabulous and beautiful country. I drive into Muscat every week, and I still can't get over the natural grace of the place- mountains that seem hand-painted and big sky and green oases as far as you can see. In Muscat there is a lot to do, and the whole city is clean and well designed (except for a few too many traffic roundabouts and bad drivers). Great shops and mediocre cinemas are everywhere, as well as nice restaurants and watering holes.

Most importantly, my job is great. I am treated well and respectfully, and my students actually work (not up to some standards, but they work circles around Saudi students). And I have no princesses in class, real or otherwise. No Gucci bags and Channel sunglasses that are glued to the face- just real young women with opinions and attitude about things- including the boys in the same classroom.

So, even if you stay in Saudi Arabia, my advice is to find a job that you enjoy. It is no trite exaggeration to say it has changed my life. Two years of being treated badly and having unexpected bad surprises around every corner does real damage to you.

Congratulations on the new job so far. You're so right that the job can make all the difference. If you have a good place to work at and nice people to be around it is great. Some of these jobs here in Saudi can really effect people. I'm hoping my new job works out too.

Have fun!

-------------
Avoid M-Trading!
http://www.tulbah.org/
Mia Xanthi

Location: why is my heart still in the Middle East while the rest of me isn't?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desultude, I am so happy for you. Sometimes it is hard to tell if a teacher in KSA is having a bad reaction to the specific work situation or just to Saudi Arabia itself. And sometimes it's hard to tell if a teacher is reacting just to KSA, or if that same person would have trouble working anywhere in the Arab world. In other words, sometimes people just have a culture/personality conflict with a cuture in general.

From your response, I am happy to see that the distress that you went through in KSA was limited to PMU and KSA, but didn't extend to the Arab world in general. Oman is indeed a fabulous place, and I am so pleased to see you having the opportunity to explore the wealth of beauty and human spirit in that part of the world. After all that you went through in the last two years, you deserve to be having a great time in a fun, exotic place. Best of luck to you in your new job, and keep us updated so that we can remember that some people do make it out and live happy lives in the Gulf outside of KSA.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........some of us manage to lead reasonably happy lives within KSA too ! Choose your employer with care !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: