Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current Conditions in Prague/CR for Teachers: winter 2009/10

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Current Conditions in Prague/CR for Teachers: winter 2009/10 Reply with quote

In the interests of making current information more assessible to teachers or newbies considering coming to Prague or the CR, I'd like to ask the people who have posted their experiences in today's job market on other threads to contribute to this one...if/when they have the time and interest!
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i can observe, Prague's reputation as an English-teaching Mecca has led to the situation now where the supply of English teachers might actually be larger than the demand. it'll certainly be interesting to see how people get on in January...
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, to follow on from sisyphus' point in the other post... i've heard of pay rates of 180kc per 45 mins before tax! (maybe just a scurrilous rumour cos i don't know which school that would've been, but still, Shocked )
ITTP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel its a valid point to begin a thread about but the issue here really is that these forum pages tend to be frequented by newbies interested in teaching abroad, or schools (or representatives of schools).
I don't feel a balanced view at all would be represented here.
Best really would be to contact Prague language schools directly and request that they provide quotas.
MOD EDIT

We definitely saw a drop in demand in early Autumn but recently that has increased. In addition, the Czech government has just announced a learner stimulus package (for non-Prague residents).

Too often than not these pages have been the source of misinformation and personal attacks. I used to contribute on a regular basis but it feels sometimes that there are just a few of us logging on and by 'us' I mean floating newbies, the odd teacher here and there, some language school directors and members of the TEFL industry.

Oh well, good luck with the poll and I hope that real teachers who are busy in their teaching schedules definitely make sure to take time out to sign up and contribute.

Btw, Merry Christmas everyone!

Neville Smile

ITTP TEFL Prague
Narodni 21 - bang in the center of the city!
mr tree

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i agree to an extent, but that's a little vague too. it's entirely understandable that the site is only frequented by TEFL representatives or newbies, as these are the two groups of people that the website serves. there's little "point" in current teachers browsing this forum (i mean, it'd be nice to hear from them, but what do they have to gain except that warm, fuzzy feeling from being helpful Laughing )

what sort of questions would you want to ask in a "poll"?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a current teacher (though not in Prague) and because I have lots of friends in the city and am there myself often (at the moment, in fact) I do try to help out here. Yes, it's only for the warm, fuzzy feeling. I've been doing it consistently for over 10 years now, in fact.

I'm tired of being sureptitiously accused of being an undercover rival of ITTP's. And of having the amount of time I spend here criticised by Neville as well. That's not his business in any way. I'm also very fed up with his insinuations that I'm biased or providing inaccurate information based on (what 'reason' this week? that I spend a lot of time on Dave's? That I am not teaching in Prague at the moment? other?).
ITTP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr tree wrote:
well, i agree to an extent, but that's a little vague too. it's entirely understandable that the site is only frequented by TEFL representatives or newbies, as these are the two groups of people that the website serves. there's little "point" in current teachers browsing this forum (i mean, it'd be nice to hear from them, but what do they have to gain except that warm, fuzzy feeling from being helpful Laughing )

what sort of questions would you want to ask in a "poll"?

Well yes, that's what I mean.
It's all fine and dandy to claim this and that on behalf of the teaching scene in Prague but often than not the forum misses out on its key demographic - the people teaching in Prague. The people who are too busy getting on with their lives teaching. ok, so once in a while a disgruntled grad from one of the many TEFL schools in Prague comes on and has a go and that is their right but generally the type of threads started here all seem to be asked and answered by pretty much the same people.

I really like Daves and the community which he has built up - hence one of the reasons why I cruise the site. I have also never hidden the fact that I am on here to promote our services, whilst also trying to provide helpful and unbiased feedback (or as unbiased as is possible), for the newbies - no matter which course they ultimately end up choosing to take or where they ultimately choose to end up teaching.

I just feel that asking how the situation is in Prague will lead to generally a negative feedback because the working teachers won't have their say.

Anyway, I had my say and I wish everyone on this site, and I mean EVERYONE - a very happy Christmas!

Neville Smile

ITTP TEFL Prague
Narodni 21 - bang in the center of the city!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: