Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certified teachers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steinmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Certified teachers? Reply with quote

Can a fellow who holds teaching certification his his home country expect to be a desirable candidate for employment in the Nam? What I mean to ask, then, is does that help? Must one still hold a CELTA (or equivalent)?
just noel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Certified teachers? Reply with quote

Steinmann wrote:
Can a fellow who holds teaching certification his his home country expect to be a desirable candidate for employment in the Nam? What I mean to ask, then, is does that help? Must one still hold a CELTA (or equivalent)?

I'm not sure on the CELTA if you have a teaching cert.

but EFL training of some kind would be helpful.
Andy123

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call Viet Nam "Nam". You will certainly offend the Vietnamese if you use this term. It is a very sensitive word that goes back to the wa#.

Yes, some schools will insist that you have a ESL cert. if you are teaching ESL. It your credentcial is in maths and you are teaching math no problem. As far as a work permit goes a degree in Education is enough.
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy123 wrote:
Don't call Viet Nam "Nam". You will certainly offend the Vietnamese if you use this term. It is a very sensitive word that goes back to the wa#

A wa# the poster may have indeed served in.
Steinmann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norwalkesl wrote:
Andy123 wrote:
Don't call Viet Nam "Nam". You will certainly offend the Vietnamese if you use this term. It is a very sensitive word that goes back to the wa#

A wa# the poster may have indeed served in.

Let it slide, man. Andy could be just a kid who simply doesn't know that it's unbelievably pompous to deliver lectures to those who have earned the right to call the Nam whatever the hell they wish.
CThomas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a teaching CERT, from what I understand you'd probably want to apply at the international schools and teach a general curriculum rather than just English. Good hours and $. Where is your cert from and what specialization?
Steinmann

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CThomas wrote:
If you have a teaching CERT, from what I understand you'd probably want to apply at the international schools and teach a general curriculum rather than just English. Good hours and $. Where is your cert from and what specialization?

Georgia State University. B.S., Secondary English Education. Certified for Language Arts grades 6-12 in Georgia, U.S.

Thanks for the international schools info.
CThomas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, you're a shoe-in for International schools. I think they start back to school in March (not sure about this) -- it's probably a good time to talk to reps.
Steinmann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CThomas wrote:
Yea, you're a shoe-in for International schools. I think they start back to school in March (not sure about this) -- it's probably a good time to talk to reps.

Yes, I'm seeing some action on such websites. Thanks much.
Boxcar Johnny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CThomas wrote:

True, but there is a lot of competition for International Schools. Apply, early.
Steinmann

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. My research indicates that just now there are teachers with top credentials waiting to teach in international schools. So much for making first string.
jb0072009

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it is very hard to get a job at a true international school as they offer top pay and benefits. They usually prefer teaching couples to save on housing and also younger teachers with a few years of experience. I would expect with the job market the way it is in the US that there are many applicants. They usually have an international school job fair in January/Feb every year in Asia. You might want to look into that as many of the schools actively recruit there. Here in Saigon there are not that many true international schools and most follow British curriculum so prefer teachers who are familiar with that system. (BTW I define true as being accredited by the home country and credits are fully transferable to any school in that country such as the UK or USA)
Andy123

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinmann I'm no kid. Please go to your job interview and tell them you have "earned the right" to call their county what ever you want.

With the exception of the four "real" international schools, I know for a fact 90% of school owners and the top managers come from the North.

Can you say Ethnocentric ?
Steinmann

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy123 wrote:
Steinmann I'm no kid. Please go to your job interview and tell them you have "earned the right" to call their county what ever you want.

With the exception of the four "real" international schools, I know for a fact 90% of school owners and the top managers come from the North.

Can you say Ethnocentric ?

I had a feeling you weren't a kid. Apologies there.

I wouldn't bring up my own pet names for their country in an interview. It's just what we called it way back when, and those of us still around call it that now.

Which are the "real" international schools? That would be good intel.
inky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy 123: "I know for a fact 90% of school owners and the top managers come from the North."

Numbers and names, please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: