Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese American wants to teach in Guangzhou, China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vgchiang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Chinese American wants to teach in Guangzhou, China Reply with quote

Sorry in advance for questions that have already been answered in previous threads. The search bar isn't working for me for some reason.

I guess I'll begin by writing a little bit about my background.

I was born in California and have lived here my entire life. My mom, who is Chinese, was born in the United States, but lived in Macau in her 20's. My father was born in Guangzhou and lived there until he was 17. I have spoken English at home my whole life. But I can get by with Cantonese when I have to speak to my relatives. My English is as American as it gets.

I recently graduated from UC San Diego with a bachelors degree and I want to go teach in Guangzhou, China. I can't yet afford a CELTA or Trinity course so my only options right now is to take a cheaper TEFL course or no course at all.

My question is if it is even a worthwhile venture to find a teaching job in Guangzhou right now? Or should I wait until I find a way to obtain the CELTA degree and then try finding a job again. I really want to go ASAP but if it is futile, then I will just set my sights on going later in my life.

Also, in the current economic climate, is being ethnically Chinese really going to be detrimental toward my job search?

How do you guys think I should go about getting a teaching job in China?
perfectweapon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the cheaper TEFL until you can afford the CELTA or Trinity, but be very careful of recruting agencies they will try everything to get you to go to China. They will promise you the sun, moon, and earth etc just to get you there. Check the China forum, and talk to the guys there they will guide you in the right direction as to what is required, and the recruiting agencies to watch out for. Very Happy
vgchiang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a US passport, right? YOu should be ok. You will face some discrimination due to your looks, last name, etc, but you could find jobs. If I were you, I'd get a work visa BEFORE coming to China.
vgchiang

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i've got a u.s. passport. I'm hoping I can land a job before heading to China because I don't have enough funds if something were to go wrong
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: