Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Puerto Varas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickdverducci

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Teaching in Puerto Varas Reply with quote

Is anyone formiliar with Puerto Varas? I want to move there because I've heard that it is a beautiful city and it's close to lakes, rivers, forests and all the natural things that I love. I am a newbie looking to teach English and I know that in Puerto Mont there is a chileno norteamericano institute. From looking at the map there is only an approximate distance of 16 km in between the two cities. I'd like to work at the northamerican institute because I have heard good things about it, but it would be even more convenient to live and work in Puerto Varas.

Are there any good institutes in Puerto Varas?

Also, the director at the chileno-norteamericano institute told me that I need a BA and a 40 hour TEFL certificate. I have a BA in Spanish. I've been looking into on-line and on-site TEFL courses. The on-site courses are very expensive. I know that many people strongly recommend an on-site course with practicum, but the director said I only need a 40 hr on-line course which is the most basic TEFL certificate I can obtain. They do have a training course that new instructors have to pass before teaching.
The idea of an on-site 120 hour tefl course makes me think that I would be more confident and ready to teach English, yet I'm not sure if it's worth the money. I'm thinking about doing an on-line 100 hour TEFL course which would be much cheaper, and if they train me then I would think that would be enough to begin teaching English.
What do you think?
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited there twice. It's a very small, but pretty, place. I remember loving it. I think you'd be lucky to get a job there however, if there's an English school at all. Try Puerto Montt I'd say.
novia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puerta Varas is beautiful and the whole area is pretty. There are lots of towns close together here. I would probably never live or work in Puerto Montt if I could avoid it.

I would check about the IChNOC instititute if that is just the standard message they give everyone because in Temuco NO ONE had any of that.

If you are competing with others for a job that might be the case but in the south there are few gringos.

I don't think they pay very much either. ($3000-3500 the hour in Temuco )
nickdverducci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info. My wife and I decided to head to Villarrica instead. Puerto Varas is too cold and rainy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: