Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

trying to find work in Kuwait...still!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monir_kuwait

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: trying to find work in Kuwait...still! Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
I have a little request, but first:
I'm looking to start a long term teaching career in Kuwait.
I mentioned my status months ago, but I stayed in Canada, kept working here. I AM flying to Kuwait in about 3 weeks. My hope is to get hired at least for the next school year. I hear that hiring season is in February.

BA, English Literature + TESOL certificate (100 hr, accredited) + 2.5 yrs teaching experience.
One thing though that *might be a problem for some schools: I am not a native speaker, though I am native-tounged (and no I'm not in denial... :-p )
*I do not need a worker's Visa...
If you think you know of a school that might be intrested, please let me know.
Thaaanks
rowntree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone needs a work permit unless they are kuwaiti.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen indians, pakistanis, arab, cuban, south african, french and eastern european teachers but at various schools based on their experience/credentials

there is a bias toward native speakers
and a defiante bias against an accent and color

you should be able to find something
middleastman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: good luck Reply with quote

Well good luck in finding something but I doubt youll get hired in February. The schools do start recruiting around then but you might not get hired until september. Unfortunately appearance is everything in Kuwait and if youre not a native speaker then you may not be treated like one (as the poster above says). I know a few people with degrees and tesol certs who work in schools but most work for the more shady commercial EFL enterprises. If you do get hired I would doubt if the pay will be top notch. stay positive.
monir_kuwait

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Im still not a 100% sure exactly what "native speaker" means! Well, I kind of know, but what about ppl who speak English with no accent, but were not born in a country with English as its first language?
But I agree, I know for fact I won't make as much as a "native speaker", at least because I dont LOOK like one, even though I speak like one...
And yes I have to stay positive amidst obvious discrimination.

My immediate target when I arrive would be to get hired part time, here and there, teaching at evening-esl kind of institutions...I should have better hopes with that, right? Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it that you do not need a work permit ? Are you married to a Kuwaiti ?
rowntree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need a work permit, as your visa will say ''housewife'' ( not permitted to work). However, companies turn a blind eye.

Otherwise only people who do not require a permit are Kuwaiti.
What category do you fit into Monir?

'Native speaker' is someone whose first language is English.......

What does a native speaker of English 'look like''......?

What does 'native tongued' mean??????
webcafe52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Trying to find work in Kuwait...still! Reply with quote

I teach ESL at a western College in Kuwait. I think it is a mistake to come to kuwait to find a job because if you are here you will not get all the benefits or pay that someone from Canada would normally get. (i.e. flight to and from home, maximum salary for your education/experience, apartment, etc.) There are a number of western women here married to Kuwaitis teaching ESL, but they are considered local hires and are paid less with no benefits! My college has three non-native ESL teachers, so sometimes that isn't a problem. It is getting harder to get an ESL job without a masters, though. Check online and apply directly to colleges and Universities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: