Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certification Course Recommendations - Help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaineK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleLarssen - thanks for the information - so we were correct in our thinking that all these schools are some how related. Interesting so whose instructors actual do the teaching?
OleLarssen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are no "whose instructors", only one set of instructors - the ones that belong to the core program (e.g. TEFL International). At least, that's how it was in Manuel Antonio.
valentine1116

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in taking the Maximo course in July and was wondering what your experience was. Good, bad? How many resources did they provide as far as contacts for potential jobs? Any information you could share would be much appreciated!
cherry cake

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there - will gladly provide any details I can to help make your decision.

I am in the final week of my certification with Maximo Nivel and the experience has been stellar. The instructors are terrific and so are the facilities. The program is extremely comprehensive, challenging but not overwhelming at least not sometimes Smile.

There are terrific resources at your fingertips for job potential. They will let you know a few weeks into the course what positions they may have coming up as well as what positions they have been contacted about in the area. You will also be provided with an extensive list of schools, institutes to contact for potential positions in Costa Rica. Outside of CR, the instructors are very well connected and will help in anyway possible if employment outside of CR is what you are looking for.

Very glad I made the decision to go with Maximo and am hoping to return to work for them in the Autumn. good luck with your decision.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherry cake, I'm taking the Maximo certification course starting August 31, so I'm glad your experience was great. Any suggestions you have to approaching the course? Also, how many days did you arrive in CR before the course started? I'm doing a host family stay and have family in San Jose I would like to visit with before I start the course and was wondering if I showed up a few days early, if I could stay with my host family.
valentine1116

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of these institutions (bridge tefl, language corps, EBC) are all just partner schools of Maximo Nivel. The student signs up with them and then is sent off to Maximo Nivel. Look around and compare prices. Usually going directly to Maximo Nivel is the cheapest. I took at TEFL course with them a few months ago and the instructor is an awesome teacher! I would highly recommend them!
dhsampso

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information and advice. I actually just finished up at Maximo last week. Fantastic experience. Highly recommend it as well. Now on to the job search.
jayciro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I am brand new to this site and this experience! '

This thread has been very helpful and my girlfriend and I are trying to choose our route as we speak!

Our top three choices are (in no specific order):

Costa Rica TEFL
Maximo Nivel
No training at all and just showing up!

From what everyone is saying Maximo is a great choice... but I havent heard anything else from Costa Rica TEFL, although their site seems to very helpful as does their staff.

Thanks any help!

Also, for those that are grads of or currently at the Maxima Nivel, I would love to pick your brains!

Cheers
EJLipton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

So what was the outcome of Maximo Nivel? Did you work afterwards in Costa Rica and if so, what was the experience like?

I am currently filling in the application to IH CELTA in San Jose, and am thinking about Maximo Nivel as well and would love some guidance.

Thank you,

Elisa
dhsampso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the TEFL course at Maximo and currently work there. My training was great. Definitely worth the cost. Everyone is very supportive and the TEFL trainer is awesome. Maximo is located in San Pedro, which is a nice area outside of San Jose. I definitely recommend Maximo. Challenging and rewarding.
fox0987

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just took a TEFL course in S�mara, Costa Rica. Great instructors, great location. Definitely feel prepared. Message me if you want info.
sarafille

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fox,

Was it the Samara school offered through CostaricaTEFL.com? How was your experience after the program? Did you find work easily? Did you decide to stay on the coast (if jobs were available) or move to San Jose?

I'm debating between this school and Maximo Nivel in the capital.

thanks Smile
valentine1116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new TESOL school that has just opened in San Jose. It is started by the English Department Director at one of the major San Jose universities who is very well connected. He has his master's in linguistics from the States. I think the school does its practical teaching at a real university instead of having paid students come in and act bored for an hour. I know one big difference is that it has 20 hours of observed practical teaching and other schools like maximo only have 8. Well in my program I think i only received less (5 one hour lessons and 3 twenty minute lessons).

This cost of this program is around $500 less than Maximo Nivel and they guarantee you three interviews once you finish the course. I personally took the course and Maximo which I liked but I didn't think they were very helpful when it came to finding a job. I was given a list of schools with many outdated email addresses. I found my job through contacting schools listed on this forum.

For anyone who is considering programs in San Jose, this school is definitely another option and probably one of the cheapest in San Jose.

This is the website if you are interested. http://www.teachenglishcostarica.com

Good luck!
sarafille

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: good option Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Valentine. I checked out their website and they seem pretty organized. I liked the willingness to facilitate the visa extension process; it seems as though they are the only school who has advertised that they have vast experience with this. That saves me a headache and a half! I've been reading all about the 90 day border jumpers and such. NOT something I'm keen on attempting.

So I went ahead and requested information from them. It looks like they are in the running! I am making my decision by June so will let you all know when that happens. Smile

My top three picks: TEFL course in Samara @ the Samara Language School, Maximo Nivel in San Jose, & now this one : CFTD (Center for Teacher Development.)

Thanks again!
orchidlife

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: EBC and Costa Rica Reply with quote

I was reading the posts between Cherry cake and others. Cherry cake stated that she (I believe) needed to choose between Maximo Nivel and EBC. By now I think someone should have finished a course by either of these two institutions. I would appreciate some feedback as I am leaning towards EBC.

Also, do schools in Limon, Quepos and Cahuita need/hire TEFL teachers? Where can I get the names of schools in these areas?

Are schools still hiring despite of the economic situation?

Thank you.
Orchidlife
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: