Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Academy VS. BrideTEFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickdverducci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: TEFL Academy VS. BrideTEFL Reply with quote

I am going to be in Santiago this month and I need to choose between TEFL Academy and BridgeTEFL. I want to take their 4 week TEFL course. I know that BridgeTEFL is more expensive and is a 140 hr course and not 120 hr like TEFL Academy. Which one is better?
norwalkesl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: TEFL Academy VS. BrideTEFL Reply with quote

nickdverducci wrote:
I am going to be in Santiago this month and I need to choose between TEFL Academy and BridgeTEFL. I want to take their 4 week TEFL course. I know that BridgeTEFL is more expensive and is a 140 hr course and not 120 hr like TEFL Academy. Which one is better?

I have no opinion other than the name BridgeTEFL does not inspire my confidence.

I always suggest that one spend the money time and effort and complete the CELTA. It will not always be known and accepted but it will make you a better teacher. Compared to the TEFL certs you are considering from the two listed orgs a CELTA is widely known and respected.
nickdverducci

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At BridgeTEFL (also known as BridgeLinguatec) the certificate they offer in Santiago is the Bridge IDELT� (International Diploma in English Language Teaching). Now, BridgeTEFL does offer the CELTA but not in Chile. Is the "IDELT" known? or should I just go for a "TEFL Certificate" from the TEFL Academy?
mike30

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Bridge other than they pay poverty level wages and it sounds like a horrible place to work...but that doesn't necessarily reflect on their training program. But I do know the guy who owns the TEFL Academy and he is a good bloke and works hard to put on a good program for his students and to help them find a job when they finish.
Dia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken the Bridge program in Santiago and can recommend it (no affiliation whatsoever and feel free to message me)

To tell you the truth, I would absolutely recommend the program if you want to take one. However it puts you out a lot of money in a market where half the time they don't even care if you have any training at all.

What I can tell you about the program was that it was very organized, well structured, very informed, etc... I am the type of person that likes to be over-prepared for the things I do and I think taking the course was a great introduction to (and depth into) the TEFL world. On my resume I put "TEFL Certificate" (not idelt or whatever).

I do believe that the trainer/instructor is not the same, the one I had I would very highly recommend and I dont know anything about the new person.

I learned a lot about ESL, and how to actually teach, how to make lessons up, etc. I actually feel it over-prepared me for the type of work I actually have to do now, which is not quite as formal in lesson planning as I learned to be.

I do know that a lot of people who work there as English teachers don't like it that well and have heard many negative experiences. However the teacher training program is a fairly separate thing and one big factor is that you would be paying bridge for a service, not providing them one. As part of training you do observations (I lucked out once watching an amazing older Chilean/british teacher) and you have practice teaching which is done in a very realistic manner.

In summary: I recommend Bridges program. I don't know anybody who has done the other one so I cant compare. I have questioned whether its worth the money to pay for an in-person class.
magpie1124

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Bridge TEFL Reply with quote

I took the IDELT course in Denver and it was really good. I learned a lot and felt very prepared for teaching. Way more than others who weren't even certified and trying to teach. Bridge TEFL also offers the CELTA course in Denver, so they are a legit company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: