Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA TESOL - Columbia, Teacher's College
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: MA TESOL - Columbia, Teacher's College Reply with quote

Has anyone participated in this program or know someone who has? I am working on my application for Fall 2010... Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MA TESOL - Columbia, Teacher's College Reply with quote

scintillatestar wrote:
Has anyone participated in this program or know someone who has? I am working on my application for Fall 2010... Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated.
I haven't participated in the MA Tesol program but Columbia Teacher's College is supposed to be one of the top teacher training schools in the US.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scintillatestar,

I sent you a PM.

Regards,
fat_chris
Molson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is an outstanding school. I applied for the MA in Teaching English program. I hope I get in. I am already a certified teacher though.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - this thread is probably dead already - but I found out on Wednesday that I was accepted! Best of luck to the poster above.
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scintillatestar wrote:
Hey - this thread is probably dead already - but I found out on Wednesday that I was accepted! Best of luck to the poster above.
And also to you!
Molson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scintillatestar wrote:

Congratulations!

I won't find out until the end of the month or April due to their spring break.

How many credits is the MA TESOL? I think the one I applied for is 34 which equals a lot of money at 1200ish dollars a credit.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I am doing is 38-39 credits, but certification is a bit extra. I think the per point tuition is $1127. At NYU it is $1203 at 44 credits for the same degree - even more pricey...
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NYCESOL11211 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...I am glad that I am declining NYU then. Hunter is a lot cheaper and allows for the opportunity to teach under an internship certificate before graduation. I am not sure if the other schools allow that, but I will look into it. I don't want to stay in NYC, though, so Columbia's name recognition might be helpful. Do you know anything about the TESOL program at UPenn?
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing anything about UPenn, I believe it would be a great opportunity, if for no other reason than name recognition. But I'm sure the program is excellent.

Hunter would be a solid choice, but I wouldn't be swayed by their internship. Wherever you go, at least in New York City, you should have plenty of chances for part-time ESL work. I'm at a CUNY school, and in my four semesters I've taught grammar workshops (as a TA), community-based ESOL classes, for-credit freshman composition courses, and even world humanities. Most of that teaching experience has come at CUNY campuses, including my own. I didn't start graduate school with much of a teaching background--just a year teaching in South Korea, so if I can get those jobs, any other graduate students should as well.
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did accept at Columbia and am very excited! As a plus, I love the campus, too. NYU is in a cool area, but it doesn't really have a campus.
Hopefully it won't take me more than three semesters to finish the program. I don't think I can take too many more NYC winters. Smile
Thanks for all your comments!
Chancellor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scintillatestar wrote:
I did accept at Columbia and am very excited! As a plus, I love the campus, too. NYU is in a cool area, but it doesn't really have a campus.
Hopefully it won't take me more than three semesters to finish the program. I don't think I can take too many more NYC winters. Smile
Thanks for all your comments!
How does one "accept at" a university, particularly when it's the university that decides whether or not to accept one as a student?
scintillatestar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They offer you a place and you can accept or decline their offer.
Chancellor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scintillatestar wrote:
They offer you a place and you can accept or decline their offer.
That still doesn't explain "accept at." Besides, I don't know of any college/university that's just going to blindly come up to someone and offer him a place there. One generally must first apply and then the college/university decides whether or not to accept you; then you decide whether you're going to follow through on your application by actually attending or if you've changed your mind and decided you didn't want to go there after all.

Anyway, I wish you well at Columbia and New York City winters are fairly tame (okay, that huge storm a number of weeks ago was a fluke).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: