Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Likelihood of finding work in Australia/NZ on tourist visa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejh263

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Likelihood of finding work in Australia/NZ on tourist visa? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am travelling to Australia (Cairns - Sydney) and NZ, later this year, between late Aug/late Dec.
Unfortunately as we are going as a family with our 2 children, my husband and I can not get a working holiday visa Sad
I just wondered if anyone has any experience or knows of anyone who has been in the right place at the right time and managed to find teaching work, maybe cash in hand?
I have over 8 years of experience and am Diploma qulaified, I was going to take all my qualifications with me and just turn up to a few schools in the areas we travel to.
What are my chances?!
Thanks in advance.
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard of it but you could try. Maybe if they need a relief teacher, they might play cash in hand to avoid the paperwork/taxes. One of my colleges employed an illegal admin staff member but not a teacher. Another field of work would yield better results. Try the hospitality industry or private tuition.

Anyway, give it a go. Only those interested will call you back but I wouldn't bank on it. At the risk of being stereotypical, there are a few Korean-owned schools which don't do things by the book (pay below award etc.) but I have only seen these in Sydney.
ejh263

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the info.
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are my chances?!

I don't know about Cairns, but in Sydney at least, but being realistic, I would say your chances are close to zero.

As the above poster mentioned, you'd have better luck finding work in the hospitality industry or something else like that.
mikethepizzadude

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are spot on with the hospitality industry. A lot of foreigners work cash-in-jobs such as pizza delivering, and car washing.
keitepai

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I agree your chances are not good, in my experience nobody pays cash for teachers especially not in NZ. It is just not that kind of country - they tend to be a bit uptight with rules:roll:
Your qualification - Diploma of what exactly? I assume it is TEFL? If you are hoping to get teaching work take your CRB check (police record check) with you from your home country and other countries of residence.

You may pick up some cash work in NZ for seasonal labouring work...maybe apple thinning in spring?? But only if they are short of staff and unemployment is high right now.
Good luck anyway

Very Happy
ciara5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: tourist visa Reply with quote

Even if you could find a position (which is highly unlikely) if someone dobbed you in, you would be deported and there would be a nasty symbol in your passport which means no coming back to Oz for 10 years. Many other countries also ask on their visa application forms whether you have been refused entry to any country. Not worth the risk.
Johnflowers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only employment available in Australia is as follows: Pubs, everyone drinks so you could get a job pouring beers or bussing (collecting glasses and emptying ashtrays). Drug dealing (not a joke) Australia is the place to be to use and deal drugs. Please don't delete that statement it is the truth!
Farmhand: picking fruit and vegies on farms. Kitchen hand in restaurants or Asset maintenance.

As for most professions, it is D E A D. Only doctors are employable because everyone gets ill from taking drugs and bumming around. There is no professional work. Why do you think educated people leave Australia? I will be soon.

Lucky we have a safety net known as the dole, otherwise it would be like Brazil, not a joke.

Why do you want to come here for? I have been unemployed for over a year. I can not even get a clerical job and there are some jobs I won't return to because they are not available anyway. Or I simply won't do them because I have a vision defect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: