Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another YIC Post
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Another YIC Post Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a new thread about YIC since the other one got hijacked. Before I start I would like to say that I am not the one that would be teaching, my husband would. So there...no need to correct my spelling and grammactical errors Wink

1. How strict are the hirng standards? Dh currently teaches in Saudi for a Government entity (that pays more then the College but I like the College vacation package better). Is a native english teacher. [EDITED TO REMOVE INAPPROPRIATE COMMENT. I WAS CONFUSED I SEE MANY PEOPLE FUNNING AROUND ON THE BOARD AND I MADE A COMMENT IN JEST...KIND OF SARCASTIC...BUT SINCE I'M A NEWBIE ON HERE AND NOBODY KNOWS ME THEN I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY THE COMMENT WAS TAKING OUT OF CONTEXT...ESP BY TRUTH HURTS!] and is fluent in arabic. However, he has a BA in an unrelated field, no MA, 3-4 years of ESL experience (direct teaching but other qualifications) and is TEFL certified. Does he stand a chance?

2. Since we are a family with small children we don't have many complaints about our personal life as it revolves around keeping the kids entertained. A clean and safe playground is good for the week and on weekends that we are broke, but are there other activities to keep the kids busy? ie karate, horse riding, swimming.

3. How is family housing? This is very important to me. I love my dh's current job and where we live, but the Villa, its appliances and furniture are old, dirty, damaged, and outdated. I personally wuldnt mind investing a little money for some fix it up but not on contract work. I am looking for a spacious, clean and modern Villa. How do you rate the housing at YIC?

That's all for now...baby cry!

Last edited by Saudi4Ever on Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Another YIC Post Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:

However, he has a BA in an unrelated field, no MA, 3-4 years of ESL experience (direct teaching but other qualifications) and is TEFL certified.

From the ad: "Minimum one-year full-time postgraduate degree or an MS/MA/MAT in TEFL/TESL or Bachelor degree in English / BA in English or Linguistic or related field from an accredited university. "

Then it says: "Please, only those meeting stated requirements need
apply".
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, I can't possibly see what relevance the colour of your husband's skin (or hair or eyes, for that matter) has to do with his job prospects in KSA. Certainly no need ofr the block capitals.
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary, Cleo, however grotesque such comments may sound to you, they have EVERYTHING to do with job prospects in KSA. That said, I do however share your opprobium vis-a-vis Saudi4ever's need to flaunt her husband's racial make up. It seems to me that in all probability she's one of those upwardly mobile non-white women who is enjoying the privilege of now being married to a caucasian. So let's just hope for her sake she finally gets out of her current "dirty villa" and can move into the cleaner one she has always dreamt of. How utterly sad!

TH
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i have to say that nobody ever asked me the colour of my eyes when I was applying for a job in KSA, though it's true I did have to send a photo at a fairly late stage in my application.

I don't deny that there is racism in hiring policies in the Kingdom. However, had the OP been worried about this, she could have simply said that her husband is white - no need to prove to us that he's a 'perfect' Aryan.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only answer for JIC on this one, but as the employer is the Royal Commission for Jubail and Yanbu, then I presume it may apply in Yanbu as well.

In order to get on the bottom point of the appropriate salary scale you need four years relevant full-time experience after completing the first degree. I would consider somebody for JIC if he had that and a TEFL cert and TEFL experience even though the BA was unrelated but I cannot vouch for Yanbu's hiring processes.

I don't know about the housing; in Jubail you would probably get a two bedroomed apartment if you had a couple of small children, though some staff do get villas (the one I'm thinking off has got seven kids though). With furniture and fittings it tends to be the luck of the draw in government institutions in Saudi. The employer will have hundreds or thousands of units and some will have been recently refurbished and some not.

Skin colour is not taken into consideration when hiriing or later. It may affect the students perceptions though, as they are suspicious of having non-native speakers passed off as native ones, and love an excuse to argue anyway. If you're on top of your subject it won't present a problem.
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if I offended anyone. Trust me I was not flaunting only teasing. I made the comment about dh's race, hair, and eye color because I thought that many of you would 'get it'. We have often been told by people that the only reason he got his job is because he was white..so I guess it was an inside joke...sorry...not funny! He has one of the best paying efl jobs in the Kingdom with minium qualifications. When ppl find out he is a white american then they are usually like..."O That's why!". He would never put that in his racism [meant resume...freaudian slip..hehe] (just a full size color photo...lol).

Last edited by Saudi4Ever on Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen, this is very encouraging. Dh is loved by his students! This is not the first gulf country he has taught in and they all seem to love him. I also do not think race plays as big a role in the hiring process as others think. I personally believe it is your nationality and others preconcieved notions. We had someone tell us to help them find american esl teachers. They asked that we not send in African Americans, but then later after recieving clarification said that they meant Africans with American passports. Apparently, they were confused about if blacks in America were native speakers or not. I think that's fair.So it may seem as if whites are prefered but it's not a color thing, it is what ppl percieve to be true inheriters of the english language.

Stephen, may I ask...how is Saudization affecting the hiring standards with RC? Do they still prefer native speakers? Is there a future in TEFL in Saudi for Americans? We have also heard of some jobs replacing native speakers with Jordanians to cut cost. Is this the case with Royal Commision.

One more thing, if I may. I am famialiar with the Eastern Province. Have you encounterned YIC teachers that requested transefers to JIC or JIC teachers requesting transfers to YIC? I guess i'm trying to determine which College is more ideal. I firmly believe dh makes a good asset to any future employer, as he takes his job serious (just doesnt want to take it home with him), but since he will be taking a pay cut working for the colleges I really need some good news to get him up to transfering. So far it is just me nagging him Rolling Eyes
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:
I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Interesting that you started a new thread because the old one was "hijacked," as you put it. And then the new one was hijacked as well... Just goes to show you that no matter what you say or what precautions you take, you can always be outmaneuvered by people who are looking for reasons to take offense.

You are welcome to post whatever you like here, *especially* in jest. There *are* people who appreciate humorous comments -- but you might avail yourself of the smileys and other icons as a sort of insurance against being taken too seriously by the humor-impaired.

And may I offer a belated welcome to the neighborhood?

Bindair Dundat
White, greying, and often glassy-eyed
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: I was only ever joking .... Reply with quote

Can't quite understand what all the commotion is and why Bindair feels the uncontrollable urge to play the chivalrous white man helping our damsel in distress. I mean afterall I was only ever joking, and oh by the way, guess what: I am sorry if I offended anyone. Wink

Lighten up, Bindair!

TH

Dolph Lundgren Lookalike! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So happy we can all get along Smile

Bindair Dundat wrote:

Quote:
but you might avail yourself of the smileys and other icons as a sort of insurance against being taken too seriously by the humor-impaired.

I DID!!! Rolling Eyes
I thought the Very Happy and the Wink would give them a clue as to my tone Idea

Quote:
White, greying, and often glassy-eyed

ROFL...now that's what I call a little too much information Laughing

Truth Hurts wrote:
Quote:
Dolph Lundgren Lookalike!

Who's that?
Confused
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: And I'm Brad Pitt's twin Reply with quote

Dear Saudi4Ever,
This site will tell - and show - you more about Dolf Lundgren that you most probably ever wanted to know:

http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/

I suspect that Truth Hurts might possibly have been stretching that Truth (which may be why it Hurts) just a tad when he made that claim.

Regards,
John
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,

I think his face looks somewhat familiar but I can't be sure. All those action film actors look a like to me anyway!
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: I was only ever joking .... Reply with quote

Truth Hurts wrote:
Can't quite understand what all the commotion is and why Bindair feels the uncontrollable urge to play the chivalrous white man helping our damsel in distress.

My uncontrollable urges may not be yours to understand, my dear TH.

Truth Hurts wrote:
I mean afterall I was only ever joking, and oh by the way, guess what: I am sorry if I offended anyone. Wink

Your sincerity touches my heart, TH. Thank you.

Truth Hurts wrote:
Lighten up, Bindair!

'Razz'

BD,
Light as a feather
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:

I DID!!! Rolling Eyes
I thought the Very Happy and the Wink would give them a clue as to my tone Idea

Ah, Ms. Ever, one cannot be too cautious when dealing with the humor-impaired! Caution is particularly warranted when matters of complexion are involved. Indeed, there are those who aver that matters of complexion are never funny!

It's a wild world, Ms. Ever.

BD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: