Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where have I gone wrong?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
InVietnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Where have I gone wrong? Reply with quote

Hi,

Background: More than two years experience in Taiwan. University degree but no TEFL or CELTA.

I thought it would be quite easy to get work here but such is not the case. I have dropped off 8 or 9 resumes and received no call backs. Actually I got two rejections due to my lack of a teaching certificate (ILA and Apollo). When I visited these schools I dressed nicely and the CV/cover letter looked professional. I went back to one school after a week and a half to see what the situation was and they said that I will be notified whenever a new teacher is needed. On the bright side I have found part-time work through a friend but the hours aren't going to cut it.

If anyone sees a flaw in my job hunting strategy could you please let me know what it is. Thanks. p.s. anybody know of any jobs!!!
InVietnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: reply to the pm Reply with quote

In reply to the messages through email--I went to SEAMEO, SITC, Apollo, VUS, Clever Learn, VietMy, ILA, and two others. I got the part-time work through a friend of a friend who is working at SITC. As to how long it takes to find work, I think there is no formula. For example, I met a Canadian guy in the hotel I was staying when I first arrived and he got a job at ILA in two days. The guy had no teaching experience and didn't even know how to tie a tie. I had to teach him that. What he did have was some certificate from a teaching course he took on-line or something.
kidkanada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a sec i thot you were talking about me. I got the job 2 weeks ago, no experience teaching, no experience with ties. The guy in my dorm room offered to help me tie it and he is now looking for work.

Im working at VATC and it was the first school i applied for. Email me if you want the address or anything. Ill PM you my addy. Id be happy to help you out if i can.

Evan
InVietnam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Pms/board Reply with quote

Rather than send all the pms to me we should keep the discussion on the board. It might be more informative for the rest out there.
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've happened to come during the "dead season" between Tet and the end of school. Things will be looking up very soon as school lets out and vacation baby sitting begins! If you still can't get hired by the end of April, you should take a long hard look at yourself.
ghostdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When, in your estimation, will the market pick up again?
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This month
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When, in your estimation, will the market pick up again?

Quote:
This month

What about those of us that plan on arriving in mid to late August? Is this a good time to come and find employment, or is this also a "dead season"? And if it is a bad time, would arriving a month earlier or a month later be better?

Thanks,
Kirk
DaveJavu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst time to find a job here is directly before and after Tet, January and February when kids finish a class and their parents wait until school is out to continue their lessons. Depending on need, schools start new hiring in March and April. May - December is pretty busy.
Micro67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Summer Season Reply with quote

The summer season means there is lots of work and if you want you can work yourself silly. Last year I did that so I could take a sweet holiday.
norski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm thinking of arriving mid-late may. I won't need to find a job immediately, but i would like to start work within 3 weeks or so. Anyone have an insight as to the job availability at this time? Also, what (if any) wage discrepency is there between Hanoi and HCMC? I'm TEFL certified with around 6 months experience.

thanks[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: