Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exactly how/where to get health insurance?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lehh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Exactly how/where to get health insurance? Reply with quote

I'll be moving to Costa Rica in the San Jose area in June, and was wondering how exactly to go about purchasing health insurance.

I'm thinking about getting health insurance from INS but can't figure out exactly how to go about getting it. (My Spanish isn't great and it looks like there is no English translation for the website)

Can it be purchased before my trip, or will I have to talk to someone down there upon arrival?

It would be great if anyone can answer these questions or even share any other advice or information on health insurance! Thanks
djlera

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: INS insurance Reply with quote

I bought insurance from a broker. You will see them around usually advertising with the INS tree symbol. This is accident insurance only and it should cost you around $150 for a year of coverage up to $17,000. This may not sound like a lot but down here it is.

The way it works is, if you get injured, you go to the hospital and after the fact you bring your papers to and INS office and get them to cover the expenses. Thankfully I have not had to use it!

If you are in Heredia I can give the name and location of the guy I bought from.... all of this happens in Spanish, so be prepared.
logicpocket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think accident I think physical accident, how about getting some raging dengue or something along those lines? Know if the INS insurance covers that? Also, are they willing to sell coverage to someone doing 90-day visas?

Cheers
libchivs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get insurance in Costa Rica if you are there on a tourist visa? I have been looking into getting insurance through the US before I go. I assume it is going to be more expensive. Is it better to get it once you get to Costa Rica? Any advice?

Thanks!
Matt_22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are all good questions. i've heard good things about costa rica's national health system, but i want to know if that kind of coverage is available to those of us on tourist visas. bump for more answers.
John Hall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a type of health insurance that you can get from INS even if you are here just on a tourist visa, but that's all that I know about it. I know a guy who used to work for INS, but now works for a private insurer. I will email him to ask him what he knows about this.
John Hall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: INS Medical versus Social Security Reply with quote

Turns out my friend is not in the insurance business any more. He didn't know anything more about it than I know.

However, I am going to quote from an article, "INS Medical versus Social Security," that I recently read in The Tico Times, July 6, 2007 ed., p. W4:

Quote:
Eligibility. INS's medical policies in colones insure anyone -- man, woman, or child, Costa Rican or foreigner, resident or pensionado, tourist or illegal alien. For the "INS Medical" plans, foreigners must have legal residency in Costa Rica, or declare by means of a notarized affidavit that their legal residency is in process....

The Caja will insure only Costa Ricans and foreigners who have legal residency status in Costa Rica. There is no age limit.

"The Caja" refers to the Costa Rican Social Security System (CSSS).

Apparently, this article only exists in the paper edition; the online edition of The Tico Times does not include everything that is in the paper edition.

I would also like to note that if you have a medical emergency in Costa Rica and you to go to the emergency room of any public hospital, you will be treated for that emergency free of charge no matter who you are.
John Hall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something that I wrote on the General Latin America forum:

"Probably one of the best things about staying in Costa Rica long-term and working legally here is the health insurance. Mine is deducted from my paycheck and covers my entire family.

I also have a friend who is a legal resident and English teacher but does not work full-time. He is married, and has a kid, but only pays 10000 Costa Rican colones per month for full coverage. That's about US$19 per month."
EdwardinCR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this- The insurance down here is cheap and the coverage limit is low. If it is still a 17 thou' ceiling this is terrible. I have lived here for years and know several people who have run up bills in tens of thousands of dollars for major treatments/accidents. It is my opinion that for small stuff it is OK. If you get something major you are screwed and your choices are limited. Check out HCC Medical services. For not much more I got a major U.S. style policy. You can somewhat select your limits and services.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: