Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm here in Medellin, and I am looking for some advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
New2Colombia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: I'm here in Medellin, and I am looking for some advice Reply with quote

I am now here in Medellin (Poblado), and I could use some help. I have many questions like:

Where can I go to dry-clean my work clothes, without getting taken to the cleaners? The one I found wants 35k to clean a suit and a shirt!!

What is the "best" cell phone company to go with?

Does anybody have experience with a GOOD barber and a GOOD English speaking dentist?

I have a couple schools in mind that I am going to apply to, but are there any English schools I should be certain to apply to (or more importantly, certain to AVOID)...I have Bachelors in Math, Bkk TEFL, and 6 mos experience teaching to adult corporate executives

Same question for Colegios... I may be interested in teaching Math in a bilingual program to high-school kids, and would love to know if this is a good idea or not for someone without an education/classroom management background.

Is it better to just show up with CV in hand, or shall I send out cover letters with my contact info and just wait for responses?

All constructive advice and PM's welcome. Thank you!
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out there, meet people, be social, network. Hopefully you speak Spanish. Visit poorbuthappy for more mundane questions like dry cleaning etc.

Sending out your resume doesn't do much good in Colombia. Definitely knock on doors.
ghostdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: seconding the mobile phone question Reply with quote

I agree with Spanlish that that is a lot of questions, but the OP hit on one that I would like the answer to --any suggestions on which mobile phone provider to go with on a prepaid account. There seem to be more choices here than for any country I�ve been in over the last few years. Is there any real difference in coverage or competition over prices? I always seem to make the wrong choice in these matters. Thanks for any feedback.
spanglish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little like asking which beer is the best. If you're going for the cheapest, I'd go for Tigo. If you're gonna be in la guajira or in the back country, Comcell will be more likely to have coverage. If you like annoying advertisements and complicated promotionals, movistar is great (tigo will also spam you mercilessly).
ghostdog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another reason not to drink beer. Cool Thanks for the advice.
teacherdude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in Medellin these days. I am seriously considering Colombia.

What are the job possibilities for an EXPERIENCED ESL teacher.
Can I make any money, or should I just expect to get by?

TD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: