Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strict on experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Strict on experience? Reply with quote

Hi, just a quick question (from Ireland where we're not so strict about these sort of things!): how stringent are Italian schools with regard to the amount of experience they state is required for one of their jobs? Will they bend this a little if they like an applicant or should I as a rule just not apply anywhere I don't meet the experience requirement?
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that all candidate specifications are an ideal, in every field and not just in TEFL in a specific country. What you have to worry about is the competition and who knows what they have to offer!

So, if there is no alternative with better experienced candidates and even if there are you still have a chance! Bit of a non-specific answer I know, but hope it helps.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assume the rules are there as a guideline only. If a school needs you, they'll find a way to circumvent / ignore them.
fin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both, that's a bit more encouraging, there's been some jobs advertised in nice areas of southern Italy but I've been wondering whether or not I should be put off by the "1 and 2 years experience required" stipulations.

I'm investigating southern Italy because I've heard the cost of living is cheaper, and I really like the look of the coastal areas south of Naples and beyond.

Thanks again.
shuriken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recon you've just got to hit lucky to find a school that is willing to take on a less experienced teacher over their 'ideal'.

I only have 2-3 months of experience in summer schools and yet but by using a 'buck-shot' approach with my applications in December (all to positions that were looking for 1+ years exp) I managed to find a position in Naples with the British Institute that begins on Monday. The pay is not the greatest (1200), but its is nothing to sniff at!

I say go for it, make plenty of applications and keep your options wide, you are bound to come up with a position at least approximating your 'ideal'.

My two pence, hope it helps.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on getting the job - hope it all goes well for you. Even if it isn't all that you want in a job, at least you'll be getting some more experience, which can only be good in the long run. The pay doesn't seem bad at all for Napoli - hope they don't work you too hard for it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: